cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i want to know if i can sale 2017 Gum as collectible

ebay pulled my post because the gum is expired,  this is a food type collectible ,can i  maybe change the wording or something to post it right

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You can't sell expired food items.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thank you but i dont understand i just bought a case from an ebay seller, how can it be that he can sale and i cant smh, and really there is not an  expiration date only best before date

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Maybe your 2017 doesn't qualify as a "vintage collectible' - too new.  A case could be a collectible because of the packaging if intact.  Without knowing more about what you tried to sell, and what you bought,  it's hard to answer your question.

Rita

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@tycharm2 wrote:

Thank you but i dont understand i just bought a case from an ebay seller, how can it be that he can sale and i cant smh, and really there is not an  expiration date only best before date

They didn't get caught.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I believe the sellers selling cases of mid century gum packages many with trading cards, are not violating any eBay rules because the gum isn't being sold as food but rather as advertising or trading card collectibles.  OP hasn't told us exactly what she's referring to.

Rita

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Just so you know, you are on eBay's radar now, since you had the listing pulled. If you try to list it again, that could result in permanent suspension. I just wouldn't try it. Good luck.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@tycharm2 wrote:

If this was from the most recent seller who left you feedback (for a private listing), he has had a lot of listings removed because he was selling "discontinued" (i.e. expired) gum. So he did get caught, and because you bought one of them, your account may have been flagged for review in case you tried to resell them.

For example, this is just one of multiple listings from that seller that have been removed recently (as they should have been):

lacemaker3_0-1705533863651.png

lacemaker3_1-1705533938746.png

The gum in that particular listing was "best by" July, 2023, so it is six months past the "best by" date and was properly removed. It should not be sold after the "best by" date.

image.png

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You are incorrect on best buy date.  You stated "It should not be sold after the best buy date.  Per USDA that is incorrect 

"

What Date-Labeling Phrases are Used?

There are no uniform or universally accepted descriptions used on food labels for open dating in the United States.  As a result, there are a wide variety of phrases used on labels to describe quality dates.

Examples of commonly used phrases:

• "Best if Used By/Before" date indicates when a product will be of best flavor or quality.  It is not a purchase or safety date.
  • A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale for inventory management.  It is not a safety date. 
  • A “Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. It is not a safety date except for when used on infant formula as described below.
  • “Freeze-By” date indicates when a product should be frozen to maintain peak quality. It is not a purchase or safety date."
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@tryno2 wrote:

You are incorrect on best buy date.  You stated "It should not be sold after the best buy date.  Per USDA that is incorrect 

Based on eBay policy, my answer was completely correct.

eBay does not use the USDA definitions. eBay refers to any kind of a use-before date as an expiration date, and requires that any food product with an expiration date, has to be delivered to the buyer before the expiration date.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/food-policy?id=4295

Message 10 of 10
latest reply