cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To clean or not to clean, that is-

I have a not so uncommon Gorham Frontenac 10" sterling silver bowl 80y+- , that hasn't been cleaned or polished in decades if ever.

-The question, is it better to leave it "uncleaned" with it's tone or polish it up all shiny and bright like some listings I see.  Should they be cleaned when they get spots and shades?

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If it were mine, I'd look at sold listings to get an idea if polished over unpolished brought better prices (or visa versa0. Perhaps cleaning a small part of it just to show how it will clean up could be effective.

I've sold items where I've state that "it needs a bit of cleaning but I'll leave that up to the buyer".
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I've heard this argued up one side and down the other on these boards, with equal fervor from people in the DO and the DON'T camps. 

My personal opinion:  Heavy tarnish is not patina   It's not good for the silver.  It can also hide damage, making buyers wary.  So, I say clean it off.  But I also say, clean it gently, with the mildest of cleaners and cloths.  Don't rub hard or scrub or overclean.  Get it down to the quiet, soft glow of good old silver and stop.  The goal is to get rid of the tarnish to reveal the patina. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Absolutely agree with maxine*j. Would never pay more than scrap value for heavily tarnished silver because too often, that's exactly what it is.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I vote for yes polish, with a cloth and polishing cream. But do not dip (use tarnex or aluminum foil bath).

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like Blitz Silver Polish for achieving the results Maxine writes about.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply