cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Identifying Concert or Other Event Associated with 1969 Ticket Stub

Found this ticket stub among a handful of other stubs and tickets for late 60s and 70s rock concerts (including Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane) but I can't be certain it's for a rock concert.  I thought this would be an easy one but I haven't had much luck with the google. The venue is listed at the bottom of the stub. Would appreciate input from any rock fans who might be able to identify this event or point me to a helpful resource. The back is blank, fyi. TIA

IMG_5313.jpeg

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The Oncenter is still open in Syracuse.  Maybe they have records going back 50 years.  Couldn't hurt to ask.

P.S. Not Led Zeppelin, per this, although they played there that year: https://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/october-17-1969

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Wild guess would be Jimi Hendrix ala JX

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

That was one of my first guesses too. But then I figured out what those letters stand for:

DFutcqW.jpg

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Oh, so we must be looking at the wrong end of the ticket!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Checking out some other possibilities ... according to Wikipedia, the home team for this venue at the time was the Syracuse Blazers of the EHL (Eastern Hockey League). But, there wasn't a hockey game at Syracuse that night, so it wasn't for a hockey game. There were games there on Wed. Oct 15, and Thurs. Oct 16, but not on that Friday.

http://theehl.com/page/scores196970.htm

They had basketball teams only until 1963.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@mesodude -

According to this list, there wasn't a concert there that night.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2012/01/live_at_the_war_memorial_the_a.html

Use [Ctrl]-F and search for 1969, to find it quickly on the page.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thanks. That was one of the first links I explored. Note in the third paragraph readers are asked to report omissions to the author or website owner.  I think there still might have been a concert that night. But as you sugggested above, it might have been something other than a rock concert.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Yes, possibly not a concert ticket, or a sports event. Either of those would have a time on them,  when the show was supposed to start, like the other example you showed.

This ticket says "Good only Friday eve" which is maybe for something like an auto show, or an event that was going on for several days or the weekend?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@mesodude, when I was trying to find out what had been happening there on that date, I tried googling: < Onondaga Oct 17 1969 >

The main hits for the search were the big name concerts that were around that time, like Led Zeppeling (which apparently played Carnegie Hall on that night, but played Onondaga a couple of weeks later).

However, scrolling down through the image search, I started to see some hits for newspaper archive sites. If you really want to figure this one out, it occurred to me (while I was commuting this morning) that you could get a trial membership for one of those sites, and search through the newspapers in that area for the week or two before Fri. Oct. 17, 1969. Whatever was going on, I'm sure there would have been an ad for it in the local paper. That's how everyone stayed up-to-date.

Let us know if you figure it out. I'm intrigued.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

From the Dec 6 Syracuse Post Standard

fest.jpg

In looking for the event I  also found reference to the Festival also having a show on Sunday the 21.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@mmadigan wrote:

In looking for the event I  also found reference to the Festival also having a show on Sunday the 21.

Can you please double-check what year that reference was for? There's no year visible in the clipping ... Oct 21, 1969 was a Tuesday, not a Sunday, which raises some questions.

It would make sense that this "Festival of Nations" could have been a multi-day event, which might have extended from Fri. Oct 17 to Sun. Oct. 19, if the newspaper clipping is from 1969. So, they apparently had a film crew there on Oct. 19, to make the TV show.

Or if it turns out that "Festival" was a different year, then we still don't know what happened there that weekend in Oct, 1969.

image.png

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone.  I'm in DC and I'm thinking of paying a visit to the Library of Congress. I'd be truly surprised if staffers there couldn't help me confirm the event.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

The year was 1969.  I am wrong.  The date on the ticket was changed in my mind to the 19th.  I found an article earlier talking about the Sunday concert.  When the I found the film article I saw the 19th and thought Friday.  Since the Sunday festival was two days later I added 2 to 19 to get the 21.

The Syracuse paper is hit or miss.  There are no papers listed for Sept and Oct starts on the 16th.  I could not find any info on the concert prior to the show.

Sorry for getting your hope up.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@mesodude wrote:

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone.  I'm in DC and I'm thinking of paying a visit to the Library of Congress. I'd be truly surprised if staffers there couldn't help me confirm the event.

mesodude at the Library of Congress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qwHiR3TKEc 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply