cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might anyone know who might have made this big, ancient pot? Color is dark red and buff.

Pot is 13" high x 11" wide. Has extensive restoration on its top half. This piece's exact origin has stumped the experts at a top auction house in MA, tho they agree it's Pre-Columbian or Native American. IMG_2385.jpgIMG_2386.jpgIMG_2389.jpgIMG_2388.jpgThank you.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Might anyone know who might have made this big, ancient pot? Color is dark red and buff.

Christie's has a very good Pre-Columbian Art Department.  Submit this for a free auction estimate, and see what they say.  The worst that can happen is that you are told that it doesn't meet their minimum and that's it, and no further info or ado.  But if they're interested, you'll be told more and you should seriously consider putting it in their hands, if you wish to sell it.  They are always courteous and easy to deal with, in any event.

Go here:

https://www.christies.com/selling-services/auction-services/auction-estimates/overview/

-

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

It's been a few years but it looks like Southwestern US  prehistoric.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Yes, thanks. Just trying to get more specific than that.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Christie's has a very good Pre-Columbian Art Department.  Submit this for a free auction estimate, and see what they say.  The worst that can happen is that you are told that it doesn't meet their minimum and that's it, and no further info or ado.  But if they're interested, you'll be told more and you should seriously consider putting it in their hands, if you wish to sell it.  They are always courteous and easy to deal with, in any event.

Go here:

https://www.christies.com/selling-services/auction-services/auction-estimates/overview/

-

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

will agree with what you have been told: I dont normally do so from a photo: looks good.

Who and when I do not know.

Photo of the design on the side please....

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Thanks, great idea.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

It's the same pattern as opposite side.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Then try Hohokam or red on buff which is Southwestern prehistoric NA.. Sometimes its more fun to toss a few breadcrumbs and we all share in the excitement of the outcome.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Another great idea is that it's pre-historic Southwest. Have you looked there?

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Another great idea is that it's pre-historic Southwest. Have you looked there?

Remember that huge sting operation 13 or 14 years ago, in Utah, when the feds busted 20 or 25 people and recovered thousands of pieces of pre-historic artifacts illegally removed from public and tribal lands?  I remember there were a couple of suicides connected with those events, too;  evidently, rich collectors with hidden rooms full of archaeological loot didn't care for the bright light shone on them. 

-

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Yes, in the day there were actually many busts like that. Some warranted and some entrapment.  Some gangs actually used bulldozers and destroyed valuable  historical sites in their plundering.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

And,some tribal members were not innocent lambs in all this. 🤣

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

And,some tribal members were not innocent lambs in all this. 🤣

True.   In the big bust I was thinking of and referring to, I remember that there was not a single Native American involved and that was one of the things that made it memorable.

-

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Yes, they let the Anglos do their bidding for them 😎

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

This is so cool I (have stumped the experts at a top auction house in MA). Do I get ebay Bucks or a helpful or what?

Message 15 of 32
latest reply