cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marks on plate/server

Hey folks, looking for any help on this one, measures 9 1/4" in diameter and weighs 7.6 ounces.

There is also a "6 3" stamped on bottom in addition to the marks on pic 3.

Thanks! Doug

plate1.jpgplate2.jpgplate3.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music & Musicians Group

Music & Musicians Board

My ebay My World page
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Marks on plate/server

6 REPLIES 6

Marks on plate/server

EGW&S = Elizur G. Webster & Son:

http://www.silvercollection.it/USASILWEBSTER.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizur_G._Webster

EPNS = Electroplated Nickel Silver.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Marks on plate/server

I hope I'm not just telling you what you already know, but the EPNS stands for Electro Plated Nickel silver which, despite its name, contains no silver.  In this condition, the piece has minimal value to a collector.  (And no value to a scrapper, since there's no silver.)

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Marks on plate/server

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes - silver plated.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Marks on plate/server

@maxine*j wrote:

I hope I'm not just telling you what you already know, but the EPNS stands for Electro Plated Nickel silver which, despite its name, contains no silver. 

Just to be metallurgically pedantic: while so-called "Nickel Silver" has no silver in it, EPNS does in fact have some silver content (the silver layer plated on top of the Nickel Silver). Certainly not enough to get excited about, though.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Marks on plate/server

@argon38 wrote:

Just to be metallurgically pedantic: although so-called "Nickel Silver" has no silver in it, EPNS does in fact have some (the silver layer plated on top of the Nickel Silver). Certainly not enough to get excited about, though.

Not enough to interest even a scrapper.   

Anyhow, I'm glad you found the maker.  I saw the first letter as an F, so I got nowhere. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Marks on plate/server

Great and fast help everyone, thanks!

Doug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music & Musicians Group

Music & Musicians Board

My ebay My World page
Message 7 of 7
latest reply