cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Japanese pottery ID please!

I bought quite a few pieces at a sale this morning.. Any help is appreciated! Can anyone identify the maker?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

are you sure it is japanese? looks like ordinary studio pottery to me.  many studio potters use cartoches for marks.  nearly impossible to identify.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I am not 100% sure that one is japanese, but I am assuming so since there were around 100 pieces of japanese pottery. I purchased about 20 pieces.. Most of them had original boxes, but, of course the boxes were not sorted with the pieces they belonged to!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Since the first piece generated so much interest, here is another one.. Measures 13" across.. This one has a pretty clear mark.. Judging by some of the other items they had purchased while living in Japan, I would estimate these were purchased in the late 70s..

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I figured out what the mark says. "Seizan"

Are there no people on the boards that have knowledge of Japanese pottery?

Pretty sure I figured out the first one as well. It is Japanese. I believe the mark is "Arita" which is the region where the piece was made.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

They both look like studio pottery, which would be hard enough to identify with a legible English name. Most studio pottery is undocumented.
Janet
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I'm not sure what that last comment was supposed to be about.. You could call both of those "studio" works. In Japan the studio is refered to as a Kiln. Most of the pieces that are signed will have the name of the kiln, and possibly the name of the artist. There is a nice facebook group filled with people who are actually knowledgeable about the subject.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

What did they tell you it was?
greg
Message 8 of 8
latest reply