cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this Pottery piece German Pennsylvania Pottery?

Is this Pottery piece German Pennsylvania Pottery? Thanks for any info. The glaze is like a green/gold color. What type of bottle would you call this? It is 9" tall. DSC00015.JPGDSC00016.JPGDSC00017.JPGDSC00018.JPGDSC00019.JPG

Lisa
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

the language appears to be hungarian

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

md1919 is right:  It is Hungarian.  My best guess is that it held wine or brandy, and the words are a toast or a quote about the delights of drink.   Have you tried running the text through an on-line translator?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Have you tried running the text through an on-line translator?

I tried, and found it quite tricky. It's easy to get a letter or two wrong with words that are handwritten in an unfamiliar language, and that messes up the auto-translation. (Also, a couple of the words are split over two lines.) Anyway, this is my best attempt at a transcription, with no guarantee that it's 100% correct:

Lelkében vígan él a magyar, ha könnyet ejt muzsikaszót hallgat. Vivat!

which apparently translates to:

The Hungarian lives cheerfully in his soul, when he sheds a tear listening to music. Vivat!

Of course, vivat = "your health"/"cheers," so it's a toast, as you suggested. I couldn't find any other examples of the saying. I imagine the last two words are the maker's signature, but I can't make them out.

Hungarian.png

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Here''s something similar, another Hungarian redware wine bottle with writing on it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hungarian-Fine-Ceramic-Wine-Bottle-Redware-Cultural-Folk-Art-Maybe-Mez-tur-...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

And an archived discussion about another, similar one:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/Hungarian-ceramic-liquor-bottle-vase-f...

I found that when I Googled images of Mezőtúr pottery, and I think there's a good chance OP's is Mezőtúr.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much! I don't know why I didn't see these posts earlier!

Lisa
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much! I appreciate all of your time spent looking!

Lisa
Message 8 of 8
latest reply