cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Taxation

eBay is charging me taxes on gold and silver when my state has applicable exemptions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Incorrect Taxation

This is usually because of the category in which the seller listed it.  You may be buying it as bullion or the like, but is the seller listing it that way?  I do not know of any state that exempts all gold and silver from taxation, just certain types / categories..

This sort of thing happens with other goods, too.   Example:  A pair of sweatpants is not taxable here in PA if sold simply as clothing.  Sold as athletic wear, or sports clothing, that same pair of sweatpants becomes taxable. 

In any event, you can get the sales tax back from your state if you were charged it in error, although that is admittedly a hassle.

But with nearly every state charging sales tax, with the rates varying from state to state and within each state from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and with each state having its long, long, long list of what is taxable and what is exempt and what is one or the other only if  such or such obtains, eBay's sales taxation database must be the size of Saturn.

-

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Incorrect Taxation

Ask the sellers board, we are Antiques and Art.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Incorrect Taxation

Was it the Mesopotamians or another culture that imposed the first taxes?  Most businesses hate dealing with local, state, and Federal governments; eBay execs must stay awake at night grumbling about the hoops they must jump through to satisfy Uncle Sam. That’s no excuse for such a glaring mistake or theft, depending on your outlook.  I believe 42 states have eliminated sales taxes on gold and silver bullion. The only states still levying taxes on the sale of precious metal bullion are Vermont, New Jersey, Maine, Kentucky, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Mississippi and Hawaii. The District of Columbia also taxes physical gold and silver purchases.  Have you called customer service or found out anything yet?  I am sorry your hard earned dollars and others have been fleeced from you all by multiple parties. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Incorrect Taxation

This is usually because of the category in which the seller listed it.  You may be buying it as bullion or the like, but is the seller listing it that way?  I do not know of any state that exempts all gold and silver from taxation, just certain types / categories..

This sort of thing happens with other goods, too.   Example:  A pair of sweatpants is not taxable here in PA if sold simply as clothing.  Sold as athletic wear, or sports clothing, that same pair of sweatpants becomes taxable. 

In any event, you can get the sales tax back from your state if you were charged it in error, although that is admittedly a hassle.

But with nearly every state charging sales tax, with the rates varying from state to state and within each state from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and with each state having its long, long, long list of what is taxable and what is exempt and what is one or the other only if  such or such obtains, eBay's sales taxation database must be the size of Saturn.

-

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Incorrect Taxation

Thanks for the expedient reply. Speaking with eBay by phone; communicating via their website; and using email was useless. However, I did receive an answer by utilizing their Facebook page with "Messenger". Basically, their response was that it's the seller's responsibility. Once again, I appreciate the reply.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Incorrect Taxation

Thanks. Now, this does explain why I've been taxed by sellers in a state and then not taxed by sellers in the same state too. At first, I thought that it might be relevant to the state's department of revenue. All of the sellers claimed that there was no means to eliminate the tax and seem very confused which is most likely from lack of  communication by eBay and improper training too. I greatly appreciate your answer. Godspeed and may you have a blessed and prosperous 2023. Thanks again, MW

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Incorrect Taxation

My pleasure. Anytime. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply