cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify art. Maurice F . Perrot style Constructionist

Hi found this out scouting.  Reminds me of a painting by Maurice F Perrot titled "Haus in einer Landschaft" .  The frame is marked Bernard Walsh who according to my research was located in the upper East side of

now historic. The history of the building based on the address  states it was constructed in 1920.   Thinking is was an expensive frame job.

No signature, or hidden.

ManhattanDSC01030.JPGDSC01035.JPGDSC01029.JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

If this were mine I'd take it to a professional framer and have the frame and mat removed to see if there is a signature.  

Rita

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

That looks like a brand-new stretcher. Could this entire presentation be a Chinese knockoff?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

No idea. Found it in a very small thrift store.  Local donations only. Lots of Northern retirees.. Could have been reframed to match the new furnishings. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

That's a good idea.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

like the Gospel John 21 😃

21:3 "I'm going out to fish," Simon Peter told them, and they said, "We'll go with you." So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing.
21:4 Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus.
21:5 He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?" "No," they answered.
21:6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.
21:7 Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, "It is the Lord," he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water.
21:8 The other disciples followed in the boat, towing the net full of fish, for they were not far from shore, about a hundred yards.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

That looks like a brand-new stretcher. Could this entire presentation be a Chinese knockoff?

Framing does look recent, but that NY address on the backing is an old one.

The "N.Y. 28" postal code predates the five-digit Zip codes that came into use in 1963. (The Zip for that same address today is 10028.) 

Not that it proves anything, since the old address could easily be reproduced on a more recent production. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Very Interesting

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You're right,  that's what makes me think the whole thing is a fake. That the forger didn't attempt to age the materials as if it wasn't important also puts me on alert as well. I feel that if someone put the painting thru Google lens the original might show up.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Tried google numerous times. No luck.   Original frame may have been damaged in the move and a quick fix applied with the backboard being original.  Just a thought. Also, Where I purchased it lends it to be authentically good, or bad. LOL      I think taking it out of the frame may be the answer to look for a signature. 

Gr8findz

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Art goes through this thrift store. Just found an original Highwaymen and a signed litho by Louis Icart, both at the same place.  Lots of junk too.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Could be too that someone, a novice,  was just tying to copy a piece of art they liked using a used backboard .

Message 12 of 12
latest reply