cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDENTIFYING CHINA

Cany anyone supply info regarding this china.  The picture shows 2 items though I have more.  Bonhams were kind enought to tell me it is "Radfordian" i.e. Samuel Radford and dates somewhere from late 19th to very early 20th Century.  The use of the svastika therefore predates the Nazi use.  Some have the number 1893 H on them - a pattern number or date and letter?  Some pieces have no marking on rear.  Suggestions were 1. a test batch or 2. an export set.P1040668.JPGP1040669.JPGP1040670.JPGP1040671.JPG

The design is beautiful I think.  Some pieces are thicker/thinner than others.  Dont want to sell it without knowing more.

Many thanks for help.

Chas.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

IDENTIFYING CHINA

Sorry about that - its just that everyone immediately goes on about it.

I have decided the design is such that it would not be aimed at the German market even if it had been made about 1922 - the design is much more likely to be aimed at the sub-continent and Ceylon (Now Sri Lanka) rather than any European market.

I don't know what to do - I am not selling it for myself but on behalf of my late mother-in-law's estate.

Thanks for the help.

Chas

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

IDENTIFYING CHINA

I think you may have it as well identified as you'll ever have it. 

Much, if not most, Radford china that I see for sale is simply well-described (as to color, motif, shape, size, approximate age, etc.) and a number from the piece, if there is one.  I don't see many with pattern names, except on much more recent pieces.

I agree with you that it's charming. 

Be careful with the swastika, though, because eBay is silly on the entire subject and uses a zero tolerance approach.  Your china doubtless falls within the allowed category but you must make that explicit in your dating and listing -- because the very word "swastika" will get your listing flagged.

eBay Policy:

--  Allowed:  "Historical and religious items that bear a swastika if they are made before 1933 and are not related to Nazism"

--  Not Allowed:  "Any item made after 1933 that bears a swastika (e.g., jewelry, clothing, rugs, fabrics), unless listed in the allowed section* above. We are sensitive that the swastika is commonly and legitimately used in religions, including Hinduism and Buddhism. However, given the highly offensive nature of the Nazi swastika, we have decided to not allow any non-historic items bearing a swastika."

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

IDENTIFYING CHINA

Many thanks.  Bonhams did point out the problem but also the svastika, as they termed it, was not the Nazi one.  I will, however, ensure it is correctly listed should I sell it.

Regards,

Chas

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

IDENTIFYING CHINA

According to this site, the trade name Radfordian was used 1913-1924: http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/836.htm
Janet
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

IDENTIFYING CHINA

I think I shall consider destroying the set.

Chas

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

IDENTIFYING CHINA

Sorry about that - its just that everyone immediately goes on about it.

I have decided the design is such that it would not be aimed at the German market even if it had been made about 1922 - the design is much more likely to be aimed at the sub-continent and Ceylon (Now Sri Lanka) rather than any European market.

I don't know what to do - I am not selling it for myself but on behalf of my late mother-in-law's estate.

Thanks for the help.

Chas

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

IDENTIFYING CHINA

People are trying to be helpful.  We all know perfectly well that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Nazis.

Everyone "goes on about it" because we have seen innocent people given huge headaches by eBay because of the nonsensical "offensive materials" policy.  If eBay pulls a listing and you re-list, they can suspend your selling privileges permanently.

If I were listing it, I wouldn't even mention the swastika at all.  I'd use Bonham's dating -- "late 19th Century to very early 20th Century" and let it go at that.  If some idiot spots the swastika and reports you, try to make your case to eBay and if that fails, sell the china elsewhere.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

IDENTIFYING CHINA

You might try listing a piece to see if there's any interest. Personally, unless I really, really wanted it to complete a set, I wouldn't pay today's shipping costs, but you never know when someone might be looking for this pattern. Yes, people are weird about the swastika design--mostly ignorant people you shouldn't worry about. unless you just feel like educating them. I wouldn't use the "s" word, anyway, as Maxine said.
Janet
Message 8 of 8
latest reply