cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was told this is for holding a gun - but can tell you I don't think so, help

This piece is clearly homemade - there is  a design on the copper (which I can't identify) and then the other part of the material is leather, so leather and copper together to create this 20" long and about 10" at the widest part.   the last picture is the actual opening.  Your thoughts please

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@mimiwells wrote:
The person who sold it to us said it was made to carry a  gun while driving his four wheeler, but we just don't know.

So the seller claimed to have made it himself? If so, I would go along with his explanation of the purpose (unless there is some obvious reason why he would have wanted to mislead you).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Is it open at both ends?  I suppose it  might  be a rifle or shotgun scabbard for a saddle, or part of one.  Anyhow, you might care to research along those lines, if you think the person who sold it to you had reason for saying it was for a gun.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@mimiwells wrote:

there is  a design on the copper (which I can't identify)

A tracing/rubbing of the design might make it clearer. I can see it in your photo and it looks intriguing, but it's hard to tell where the lines start and end.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Yeah, I see something that looks like scales, as on a dragon or a serpent.  Or, perhaps feathers.  I even downloaded it to try to enhance it, but with that lighting I just couldn't do anything with it.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

That's what I thought, some sort of scaly beast.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for responding.  My husband said it is a dragon, but I thought a snake.  Tried to do a tracing but can't get an image clear enough.  I will try to take a better picture of it. 

The person who sold it to us said it was made to carry a  gun while driving his four wheeler, but we just don't know.  It is only open on one end...so would make sense if you were putting  a shotgun (I know nothing about guns) in it. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Looks like it could be a re-enactment thing or recreation thing to hang in the wall next to your blunderbuss. You could chip a fingernail if you actually used it.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@mimiwells wrote:
The person who sold it to us said it was made to carry a  gun while driving his four wheeler, but we just don't know.

So the seller claimed to have made it himself? If so, I would go along with his explanation of the purpose (unless there is some obvious reason why he would have wanted to mislead you).

Message 8 of 8
latest reply