cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Stumped, What is it? Native American?

Hi all,

Haven't posted here in a while. Was hoping for a little help from you all on a piece we picked up today.

I *think* it's Native American (Navajo, Zuni, etc.) and made of silver, turquoise and antler. The carved antler part of it appears to be in the form of a rattlesnake's tail? I assume the object was meant to be used as a snuff(?) canteen(?) powder flask(?) powder measure/charger(?) etc. The interior is only drilled about a 1/2 inch and is coated with some sort of wax(?) material.......not really sure.

Anyway, any thoughts on the age, origin and use of this object? I've searched for a number of hours and found nothing similar. Thank you all for your time, thoughts and help!

Size approx:  4-3/4 x 1-1/4 inches.

STA001.jpgSTA002.jpgSTA003.jpgSTA004.jpgSTA005.jpgSTA006.jpgSTA007.jpg

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ok, please disregard this post as I was able to ID the piece.

It is Native American (Navajo) as I suspected and it's a snuff/tobacco canteen. A somewhat similar example and be seen below. Thank you all any way.

IMG_8200.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Ok, please disregard this post as I was able to ID the piece.

It is Native American (Navajo) as I suspected and it's a snuff/tobacco canteen. A somewhat similar example and be seen below. Thank you all any way.

IMG_8200.jpg

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

So is there a sig on it? The shows I used to do required there be a sig on later pieces like this to help with authentication. A sig can lead to a secure ID. Not saying it's not, maybe it is. And if it is, probably a rattlesnake tail.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply