cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I NEED HELP TO AUTHENTICATE A PAIR OF MARKED JIAQING POERCELAIN FIGURES

Hi, I need help to figure out what these are. I thought at first that they were 2 of the  immortals. But the vases in their hands are the same. The imortals that I have seen have different items. The mark is a mark from 1796-1820. They are 20" high and the base is 5"×5". Any info will hel. Thanks. 

20200424_100529.jpg

20200424_102021.jpg

20200424_102034.jpg

20200424_100610.jpg

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

The brown stain/paint applied to the base does not mean they are from when the marks say.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Emperor and Empress figurines. 

You do realize that nearly all these reign marks are fake. Your is probably from the 1960s or 1970s, out of Macau, per Gotheborg:
https://gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml

In any event, it is impossible to actually authenticate from photographs, but it is highly unlikely that these are actually very old, charming as they are.

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

I don't think it's paint. Thanks 

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

@mommamurfe60 wrote:

I don't think it's paint. Thanks 

Whatever it is, it's common on porcelain items are are new but made to appear to be old.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

Let me re-phrase then, they are fakes, meant to fool and deceive. If you sell them on ebay as being original and the buyer has them appraised you will be liable to return the money and, it will be a black mark on your account.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

These are the reproductions.

Pair of Chinese Porcelain Famille Rose 18" Statues by Hill Auction Gallery - 1432833 | Bidsquare
https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/hill-auction-gallery/pair-of-chinese-porcelain-famille-ros...

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Have you checked out the Gotheborg link provided by Maxine? Scroll down to 'Jiaqing' mark, six character, single frame, 1965 or later  and you will find your mark:

https://gotheborg.com/marks/macaustyle.shtml 

They have decorative value and can legitimately be sold as such, but they are not antiques.

Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Thanks for the imput.
Message 9 of 45
latest reply

I think you are convinced these are old, and nothing said here will change that, so you should put them in the hands of the Asian arts experts at Christie's, Sotheby's, or Bonham's. 

Christie's, Sotheby's, and Bonham's all give their opinions for free.  It can take awhile. but it is worth the wait.  Go to their respective websites to learn how to submit photos and information about your items to them. 

You would not want to attempt to sell the real thing yourself, as that woud be far too risky in the wild world of Asian arts.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

I'm not convinced that they're real. That's why I am  asking here and have done hours of research on them.  Submitting to those auction houses is a good ideal and I have submitted items to them in the past. It is a good way to find out for sure. If you see my feedbacks you should know that I would never try and sell a fake as real. These are nice quality porcelain figures and I also wanted to know what they are and what the sybolism represents. Just so I can continue my education

Thanks for the info.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

Oh by the way If they were real? I wouldn't hesitate to sell them on my ebay site. I am fearless.

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

"That's why I am asking here and have done hours of research on them"

Years of research would be better.

" Submitting to those auction houses is a good ideal....... It is a good way to find out for sure."

Auction houses make mistakes too. For many years many top-tier forgers have run their wares thru auctions and many dealers buy from auction houses. Many estates end up at auctions. And so on.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

@mommamurfe60 wrote:

I'm not convinced that they're real. That's why I am  asking here and have done hours of research on them... 

Besides emperor and empress figurines, I assume you looked at so-called "Ho Ho boys" (or "Ho-Ho boys") who are often depicted as holding vases.   I also assume you looked at the mark on Gotheborg and decided yours is not  a match.

Anyhow, good luck with them. 

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

Thank you very much.
Message 15 of 45
latest reply