cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with symbols

This is a little, metal, copper-tone figurine. As you can see, it has symbols on both sides (same 2 on each side). I've added pics with and w/o flash, so hopefully someone can see it and tell me if they mean something, or are just decorative. Maybe Native American since it is a bison or buffalo. Thanks in advance!bisonmini (1).JPGbisonmini (3).JPGbisonmini (6).JPGbisonmini (7).JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Help with symbols

It looks to me like a Minoan bull, with the labrys on his shoulder.  The labrys was a type of double axe, a Minoan symbol.   I don't know right offhand what the other symbol, on its hindquarters, is supposed to be.   It's probably a souvenir from Crete.

I don't see a bison or buffalo, or anything at all Native American about this.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Help with symbols

It looks to me like a Minoan bull, with the labrys on his shoulder.  The labrys was a type of double axe, a Minoan symbol.   I don't know right offhand what the other symbol, on its hindquarters, is supposed to be.   It's probably a souvenir from Crete.

I don't see a bison or buffalo, or anything at all Native American about this.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Help with symbols

I'll bet I do know what that other symbol is:  The famous "Minoan Disc," discovered on Western Crete in the late 1800s still a baffler, although I';ve even heard claims it's a sort of analog computer.   That and the labrys would make sense, along with the bull, for a souvenir of Crete.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Help with symbols

See! This is why I needed help. No idea, I had. Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Help with symbols

Glad to help.   

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Help with symbols

After some research - now that I know basically what this little figure is... the front symbol is the labrys. The rear is, I believe, the Solar Cross, with added elements of the solstices. Yep, all in a tiny form.

Thanks again. I love doing research - when I kinda know what to look for!! triumph

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Help with symbols

Glad you could identify the other symbol!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply