cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with antique painting signature

Hi any help on who the artist may be is appreciated or the age. I took it apart and found this on the back. It is painted on board.20230207_165609.jpgs-l1600.jpgdownload.pngdownload (2).pngdownload (1).png Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Can you take better pics of the corners of the back?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi, it appears as if someone has previously mis-attributed this gem of an oil painting to the 16th century German-Swiss artist Hans Holbein who worked in a Northern Renaissance style, perhaps in preparation for a 19th-20th century auction judging by the cryptic coding and name. This painting is actually in a style perfected by 17th century Italian Baroque painter Salvator Rosa (1615 –1673). Rosa was the perpetual rebel, choosing art over law or priesthood as encouraged by his father who loaded him up and took him to the convent of the Somaschi Fathers. He secretly worked on painting with his maternal uncle, a member of one of the Greek families of Sicily.  In 1635 travelled from Naples to Rome where he pioneered a new style of landscape that was unconventional, anticlassical, and proto-Romantic. For the first time the landscape was becoming a whole new dubject on its own as a form of painting. The new genre was heavily influenced by expatriate French, Dutch, and Germans as it was by native Italians, like Rosa. Indeed, as the century progressed, foreigners like Poussin and Lorraine dominated this kind of painting. Rosa’s haunting landscapes are characterized by rugged scenes, pastoral people, ruins, overgrown vegetation, and dark or brooding atmospheres that often made use of reflected light.  Most on the early landscapes he painted early in Naples were sold cheaply to dealers. Judging from the style, techniques, and hatching on the panel, the painting is most likely 17th century School of Salvatore Rosa.  A good cleaning might possibly reveal more details. Thanks for sharing. 

🤗 Source: Ruins of Rome 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@couturehomecollection wrote:

Hi, it appears as if someone has previously mis-attributed this gem of an oil painting to the 16th century German-Swiss artist Hans Holbein..

Are you referring to the writing on the back which could be seen as hOL.. but which I believe is actually upside down numbers I read as C-19704 ?

Rita

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

@couturehomecollection wrote:

Hi, it appears as if someone has previously mis-attributed this gem of an oil painting to the 16th century German-Swiss artist Hans Holbein..

Are you referring to the writing on the back which could be seen as hOL.. but which I believe is actually upside down numbers I read as C-19704 ?

Rita

No one who knows the slightest thing about the Holbeins, Younger or Elder, could attribute this to a either one.  And, yes, definitely says C-19704.  Maybe a catalogue number...?  And, in the orientation shown in OP's photo, the W and B are quite clear.

download (2).png

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Again I ask about the corners. I was asking hoping for more information about what this is painteD ON?
PLYWOOD? A SOLID PANEL? HOW ABOUT A PIC OF THE BOARD OUT OF THE FRAME?

SORRY FOR THE CAPS SPILLED COFFEE ON THE KEYBOARD🤔

Message 6 of 6
latest reply