cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with an old rusty lock please?

Can anyone tell me what type of lock is this?

Markings I found are a "V", POSITIVE, PAT. JULY

I can't make out the year and another number on that same piece.

Thanks in advance!

Emma

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

20190222_203717~2.jpg

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I wouldn't call that a lock, I would call it a hasp. It looks to have nothing to do with the hasp other than it is locked to the hasp. Your pics don't show the lock, only the hasp.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Oh, I see the lock now with the other pics. Looks like a Master lock but still, nothing to do with the hasp. The hasp does look interesting though.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I should've mentioned that I knew the master lock attached was not part of my piece in question.

You did help me, though.

I didn't know the rusty pieces would be called a gasp. That's a word I didn't know before now. Thanks a bunch!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Words matter! grinning Word of the day, hasp.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have seen hasp similar to that around on old barns but never paid attention to markings. Taking a closer look I think you may have parts to TWO hasps.  One part has the patent date July ????.  The other one has a patent date of 08-24-1904.  I think someone took parts to two hasps and made one that would work.  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You may want to try to clean  it to get a better definition of the markings.

I have had good success with electrolysis in cleaning metal and it is easy.  Many articles on how to do it.   

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Electrolysis is good, muratic acid will work but if you only have a couple of small items to clean - try vinegar first, takes longer but will work.  A new one I heard recently is dried powdered molasses like they is livestock feeding.  Mix it with water and soak the item.  IF it works (I haven't tried) the nice thing is it's safe.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply