cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help to identify a pottery mark

Picked up this small pottery container with marks on bottom but can't locate anything about itIMG_5294.JPGIMG_5295.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Your photo shows the floor and blinds well lit but the vase is way too dark to appreciate the colors of the design.Try bringing the light to the front of it esp if you will be selling it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

For identifying the marks the photo is just fine, IMHO.

Marks are very tough to identify if they arent from prolific artists. My daughter throws pots and she made up her own marks, which are undocumented.

I didnt see anything here at first glance but this site aims to document them in a way that can be searched. Even if this piece is of American origin it may not be listed.

The Marks Project - A Marks Dictionary of American Studio Pottery, 1946 to Present

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I was not addressing the mark which is quite legible. My point was that the photo of the object is extremely dark thus obscuring details esp if OP is going to use it for an ebay listing. When I buy, I just pass on dark photos like this. = seller loses a sale 😕.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Sure. I just use the listing adjustment tools or the free Irfanview tool color adjustments.

Using the above picture with three clicks this is what I got. I hate retaking photos.

_pottery.jpg

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

That looks great.  I'm glad you corrected their mistake. Trying to make this a "teachable moment" for OP though.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply