cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help -- need to identify - Twisted wire housed in brass sheath - key rings on both ends

Hi... I have tried to find out  what this is by describing it as I see it and have found nothing that is helpful... so, I hope someone here can provide me with some information...  it measures 5" long... key rings on both ends... the brass sheath holds a twisted wire... thought it might be for cleaning some hunting, fishing item, or maybe related to guns... just don't know... do you? 

Brass sheath holds twisted wireBrass sheath holds twisted wireWhat is this used for?What is this used for?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Help -- need to identify - Twisted wire housed in brass sheath - key rings on both ends

md wrote: "to me this is nothing more than a key ring holder to go on a belt.  separate the keys from the holder to use."

I agree; I don't think the wire part is intended to be a tool or anything else; it is just part of the mechanism that hooks the parts together and allows them to be separated.  Attach the keys to the brass end; attach the other end to a belt or backpack; separate them when you need the keys. 

Could also be used for items other than keys; if you had a pocket knife or water bottle with a ring, you could attach that to the brass end so as to carry it on your belt or pack but have it ready to detach and use when needed.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

does it make a sound when you blow in it? It looks like an animal call (duck,moose, etc something)

lol thats all I got
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Could be a buttonhook?  Slip the button through the large end of triangle, then slide to narrow end to hold it firm while hooking through the button hole.  I have seen similar in dresser sets, but can't imagine why one would be on a key ring.  Maybe it was something used in a gentlemen's haberdashery shop when assisting a customer.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for the thoughts on what it is... it does not whistle when blown ... and, I looked at flat boot lacers, button hooks... a good thought... but found nothing like it.... the fun is in the hunt... for an answer...

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Try google search............button hook dressing aids...a version very much like the shape of yours is being sold today as a dressing aid (assistance for people with arthritis).  As I recall, the ones I have had dated from around the 1920's, so obviously a good design.  Not to say that's what your's is, but the similarities are there.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

to me this is nothing more than a key ring holder to go on a belt.  separate the keys from the holder to use.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

md wrote: "to me this is nothing more than a key ring holder to go on a belt.  separate the keys from the holder to use."

I agree; I don't think the wire part is intended to be a tool or anything else; it is just part of the mechanism that hooks the parts together and allows them to be separated.  Attach the keys to the brass end; attach the other end to a belt or backpack; separate them when you need the keys. 

Could also be used for items other than keys; if you had a pocket knife or water bottle with a ring, you could attach that to the brass end so as to carry it on your belt or pack but have it ready to detach and use when needed.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks to all who have replied with thoughts and ideas... they all make sense.. always good to hear what others think about an item I've never run across before. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply