cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying Old Rugs please

A customer asked for help in identifying a few old rugs.  A few hours of research has shown that this is beyond my meager abilities.  Any help would be much appreciated.

The first:

head.JPGhead2.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This one has an importer's tag, Liberty Tree Imports:

liberty2.JPGliberty4.JPGliberty.JPG

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

And finally the rug that appears to be the most interesting:

figure.JPGfigure2.JPGfigure3.JPGfigure4.JPG

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The second and third rugs are wool and measure appr. 4 by 6 feet.  The first is made from an unknown material (linen?)

My apologies for the quality of the photographs> I had trouble making room in a cramped office.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Conjectures and outright lies are welcome 😉

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@rennybooks wrote:

Conjectures and outright lies are welcome 😉

I am having a lot of problem with any kind of observations on these weavings, first of all not sure if they are technically a rug or a blanket or if that matters. It would be nice to know if a photo was front or back. More is told about a rug from the back.

The Indian head weaving looks to be machine made because of the even pattern. The style is perhaps 1930s early 1940s, though cowboys and Indian motifs were popular into the 1960s, sometimes even using the same patterns. I am guessing it is the same pattern/reversed front to back, like a damask weave.

The second rug looks like handwoven wool. Not sure about the patterns, influenced by Aztec  if Mexican as labeled, I suppose.

The third is confusing to me.

The pattern looks very even suggesting it is machine woven, like a Jacaquard loom of some sort. That type of weave would leave long strand of loose (color) threads in the back behind the actual figure pattern. These could have been snipped, to create the fuzzy threads.

But it is possible for a skilled worker to create fine even detail.

Typically we see this type of textile worked with a type of tapestry weave like Navajo Weaving, I am not sure if they call it intertwining or what, rather than a slit on a long vertical design, the weft threads alternate around a warp. In this case there seems to be an alternating weft (the beige background color) worked between the design threads. That confuses me.

There is a type of weaving called twining that is used in peru, I believe, where an individual color thread (like for the skirts) is hand fed between/among the warp and weft to create a pattern. This may be that technique. That is a rather involved technique and to my inexperienced eye even, the design of this piece may be beneath such an involved process. I may be wrong.

Another possibility is a type of surface embroidery (Huck Embroidery;  Punto Oitinho in Brazil) which can look like this type of work. A close inspection of the acorn design, both back and front, might be more revealing.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I am not sure how to classify them.  Blanket and rug seemed to used almost interchangeably online along with wall hanging for good measure.

The first three photographs of the third blanket/rug are the back.  The last photograph is the front.

I thought it was possible that the third was a trade blanket that had been woven with the figures after its initial creation.  With the second rug having an importer's tag, I'm leaning towards the third specimen coming from Mexico/South America.

I'll post a few more photos of it in a bit.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply