Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Identifying Japanese Porcelain Mark

ja9.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It says Asahiyama. It's a mountain in Japan, and also the name of a company that produces ceramic items. The second character means "mountain".

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Is there a single company named "Asahiyama"?    My impression is that Asahiyama is a place with several notable potteries.  (Sort of like Limoges, in France.) 

If I search Gotheborg or here, for example, I do not find a single company named that: https://japanese-ceramics.com/

I am not nit-picking.  I am trying myself, to learn, and to wade through all the marks, etc.  If you found a company named Asahiyama, can you give a link (if you haven't already cleared your history and moved on).

-

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@maxine*j, I'm sure you're right.

I ran out of time to edit my post, but if I could, I would have changed it to just say that there were a few examples of pieces with this mark that can be seen online. I couldn't find any information about who made them.

One thing that I noticed was that they were not produced for export (not to the USA at least) because they don't have any mark that says Japan or Made in Japan.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@maxine*j, I'm sure you're right.

I ran out of time to edit my post, but if I could, I would have changed it to just say that there were a few examples of pieces with this mark that can be seen online. I couldn't find any information about who made them.

One thing that I noticed was that they were not produced for export (not to the USA at least) because they don't have any mark that says Japan or Made in Japan.

Newer pieces, from about the 1960s or '70s on, like this one, can have "Made in Japan" (or China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, et al) printed on little stickers which can be removed, though.  That has proved especially handy for the producers of all the fake reign-marked Chinese stuff, of course.

-

Message 5 of 5
latest reply