cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraternity / sorority pin with Hebrew letters

Looking help to identify this pin / badge. It is stamped Letzeiser on the back. Thought perhsps it's from a Jewish fraternity.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

This may help others:

15611317501033776897280257121241.jpg

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

@moonbeam_24 wrote:

It is stamped Letzeiser on the back.

I see that Letzeiser Co. was based in Oklahoma City, so that might be a good area to focus your research.

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Of course, the Hebrew characters are unmistakably Resh He (רה) - the equivalent of RH in English. I've been looking for Jewish fraternities/sororities associated with these two letters, but I haven't come across anything. In fact, most of them appear to have used Greek letters to identify themselves, rather than Hebrew:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_fraternities_and_sororities

Message 4 of 46
latest reply

Thank you argon38. I have scoured various sites at listings, photos , etc. Totally baffled. Someone had suggested the Hebrew letters were dalet & he. I believe you are correct in saying Resh He.
Message 5 of 46
latest reply

The elder chapter of Institutes for the Care of Handicapped Immigrants. 1920's to late 1950's

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Of course, the Hebrew characters are unmistakably Resh He (רה) - the equivalent of RH in English.

And above those letters is what looks like the Roman numeral 7 (VII).   At least, to my eye it looks like VII rather than Hebrew letters or numbers.  Do you see it differently?

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

Interested to know how you came up with this idea. Was it an organization? Do you have any more info or references to share? Thanks so much.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

Interested to know how you came up with this idea. Was it an organization? Do you have any more info or references to share? Thanks so much.
Message 9 of 46
latest reply

@lyonspuppy wrote:

The elder chapter of Institutes for the Care of Handicapped Immigrants. 1920's to late 1950's

How came you to associate it with Malben?
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/malben

I'm not saying you are wrong, only that I don't see the connection and wonder what it is.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Ooooops!  Cross-post with you.   Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

I've seen the plaques at temple, go into a temple and any of the elders would be able to tell you all about the pin 🙂

It's rare to see them come up for resale, most of them are passed down in the family or left to the temple to be passed on 🙂

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@lyonspuppy wrote:

I've seen the plaques at temple, go into a temple and any of the elders would be able to tell you all about the pin 🙂

It's rare to see them come up for resale, most of them are passed down in the family or left to the temple to be passed on 🙂

Can you shed any light on the significance of the "VII" and the two Hebrew characters?

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@lyonspuppy wrote:

I've seen the plaques at temple, go into a temple... 

Can you shed any light on the significance of the "VII" and the two Hebrew characters?

It's many miles from here to the nearest temple, though I suppose I could make the long round-trip over the mountain so I could just pop into it for a look around to see if I happen to spot a plaque similar to this.  

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Very intrigued to find a possible answer. been looking online to see if I can find a reference, but no luck yet. Live no where near a Temple, but will try maybe to email one. Would you know of any online reference I could check about this? Thanks so much.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply