cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fornasetti Paperweight

Looking for more information on a Fornasetti insulator style paperweight.

It has "Specific Weights" written on top and on the sides has various liquids and their specific weights.

It is the classic white ceramic with black lettering. The bottom is red felt with the Fornasetti Milano logo.

There is a Fornasetti Book - The Complete Universe which would provide direction age and value but I do not have access to a copy.  Anyone?

I have not found this style on online via auction sites or via Google lens. Thanks for your insight.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fornasetti Paperweight

The English one is elusive, but I found an Italian version ("Pesi Specifici" = "Specific Weights"):

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fornasetti-weight-paperweight-pesi-1970635022 

Besides the above WorthPoint listing, there's also this (but the link is no longer active):

Pesi.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Fornasetti%22+%22pesi+specifici%22+porcellana&client=firefox-b-d&... 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Fornasetti Paperweight

You might try a google image search for: Fornasetti insulator style paperweight - might get a point in the right direction..

I found at least 30 pictured.  Apparently there were different designs, over the time of it's production.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

Do you have it to hand? Could we see a photo?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

The English one is elusive, but I found an Italian version ("Pesi Specifici" = "Specific Weights"):

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fornasetti-weight-paperweight-pesi-1970635022 

Besides the above WorthPoint listing, there's also this (but the link is no longer active):

Pesi.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Fornasetti%22+%22pesi+specifici%22+porcellana&client=firefox-b-d&... 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

And here's an example of "Specific Weights" in English:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-apothecary-ironstone-specific-weight 

The seller misidentifies it in the listing, and also doesn't mention Fornasetti, which makes it unreliable for price comparison purposes. But it does at least prove that there are others out there.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

@happy2452 wrote:

Having now seen photos of Fornasetti's "Specific Weights" paperweight, I would have to disagree about it being "insulator style." His ceramic insulator style paperweights are quite different in appearance:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Fornasetti%22+%22insulator%22&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjjoN_N8fD4AhUIU... 

While the seller in my last link misidentified the item, he was thinking along the right lines. The design is surely intended to resemble a weight for an apothecary's balance.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

@argon38 wrote:

@happy2452 wrote:

While the seller in my last link misidentified the item, he was thinking along the right lines. The design is surely intended to resemble a weight for an apothecary's balance.

Yes, it is.   OP's original description threw me, because I couldn't imagine what liquid weight measuremens had to do with insulators if any kind I'm familiar with.

-

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

@gracieallen01 wrote:

You might try a google image search for: Fornasetti insulator style paperweight - might get a point in the right direction..

I found at least 30 pictured.  Apparently there were different designs, over the time of it's production.

Yes, I did a quick, unrefined search and saw many that fit the bill:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Fornasetti+specific+weights+paperweight&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ve...

Google Image is my friend.

-

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

Good find, @argon38 

The picclick link is no longer available, and the ebay item was more than a year ago because I can't find the listing in Terapeak Italy. However, the cached page provides some information: the selling price was 220 Euros.

image.png

The description doesn't give a date, or perhaps anything that is useful. Google translation:

Item number: 255412037484 FORNASETTI - SPECIFIC WEIGHTS - VINTAGE PORCELAIN AND GOLD - 10 x 6.5 cm. FORNASETTI - SPECIFIC WEIGHTS - VINTAGE PORCELAIN AND GOLD - 10 x 6.5 cm INV .: 3301 Condition: EXCELLENT

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

Yep I tried Google Image  Search I called it Google Lens.

Many Fornasetti "insulator shape" paperweights especially the annual date ones but not the "Specific Weights" version/design.

Thinking it is older and or more scarce. Thank you for weighing in!

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

Yes That is it but in Italian! The one I have is in English and does not have a gold "top".

Would have never thought to look for it in Italian.

Thanks for the new direction I'll be heading in to research.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

That is it, again without the gold. It looks like that one has a  green felt bottom vs red felt as well.

Someone may have got a bargain on this one if not sold as a Fornasetti.

Probably logo on the felt base was missing or unable to read.

The interesting part is that this is not an apothecary use item as it has Fornasetti's off-beat humor in what is listed on the paperweight as the items and their specific weights. Or I hope not used for that purpose. It's odd.

Awesome - thanks for finding!

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

@happy2452 wrote:

Yes That is it but in Italian! The one I have is in English and does not have a gold "top".

Would have never thought to look for it in Italian.

Thanks for the new direction I'll be heading in to research.

@happy2452 

If your paperweight looks like the Italian one, then it is not an insulator shape. The insulator shape is different. The top is a different shape, and has a groove in it. Most of the insulator-shape ones I saw while researching, had a list of alphabetical letters, as used by NATO for clear communications when the lines are noisy.

The Italian paperweight that @argon38 is mean to look like a weight that is used on a scale, for example an apothecary's scale (although the weights all look pretty much the same.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

I would love to find a copy of the Fornasetti book to see if truly insulator style or not.

I hear you. Not sure if needs the "cut-out" shape or not on the top to be insulator.

The one I have is hollow inside like an insulator.

I having been thinking insulator based on the other shapes Fornasetti has that it is not, as well as what I see on the internet. And we know how the internet is - not always correct.

Maybe earlier design of insulator style from early 1950s before a change. Not sure . . .

Thanks for your insight.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Fornasetti Paperweight

Yes I'll start researching for apothecary balance style paperweight to see if I can find out more.

I see what you all mean in the actual shape being like a balance vs. insulator.

It makes sense with other Fornasetti paperweights that are more "medical" that they are balance style and not insulator.  I was using the information I was finding online with as what was close to similar. And others had it not correct. I'm seeing it now. Glad I reached out to the community. Thanks!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply