cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edgar Degas Original Pastel

Hello All,

Several years ago I acquired  a piece of art that is an original pastel, but I am not sure if it is a true Edgar Degas or a really well done reproduction. The matte board references Degas, and the image is a well known piece, Two Blue Dancers, but the image is signed RRN. Did Degas ever use such a signature or does anyone know who RRN might be ? The fourth picture is what is on the back of the paper. The paper size is approximately 8" x 11" , and I do not know what size the Degas art was in this series.

Any info. would be helpful.

Thank You. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

With respect, your pastel is clearly signed as “after Degas” and is a copy by someone with the initials RRN, most likely an art student. Copies made by students are supposed to be a different size than the original and notated with the artist’s own initials or sig (when the copy is made without intent to deceive).

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

d'après E. Degas means "after," or "in the style of" Degas. So it is a work by an unidentified artist named RRN who was inspired by Degas' dancers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Okay, that makes perfect sense to me now. I was not able to read that word before the Degas name to denote the piece was " in the style of ".

Many Thanks. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply