cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early inlaid box ? spice box or tea caddy

Hi folks, New to this board and wonder if anyone can tell me if this early inlaid box with six compartments that swivel might be a fancy early 19th century spice box / tea caddy or just some kind of dresser box? It has very nice inlaid floral designs and the workmanship is also superb. I have not seen another like it on the internet to compare it with.  Size is about 8" wide X 5.25" high X 4.25" deep.  Any help will be much appreciated.  Thanks Joebox1aok.jpgbox1back.jpgsix compartmentssix compartments7.75" wide X 5.25" high7.75" wide X 5.25" high

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Looks more like an organizer than a tea caddy, if a period caddy it would have a lock. Tea was very expensive. Looks to be English but without clear photos of the underside I can't tell. Is the handle a replacement? Any way to get a shot of underside showing the attachment? Adam, Regency?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It looks like what my grandmother referred to as a "desk tidy." Which, while a ridiculous name, did yield this as a quick look result. (Photo below.) Mind you, these aren't Regency or Adams era things (I don't think, but they could go back much farther than I am aware of) they tended to be 1920s things made to look 19th century. Or, in one case I remember, it was very art deco. Made of Bakelite or cellulose and ultra sleek. (Not the one shown below.)

Anyway, see what you find looking for desk tidys/organizers and best of luck in your search. 

Screenshot_20220125-021201_Samsung Internet.jpg

Let us know what you discover!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If anyone is still looking on this piece the word demi-lune or half circle should be included in search terms along with the two names I have already mentioned, Adam (late 18th century) and Regency. Also toss in George 3/4. Could be a pricey little box if period .

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If you wanted to post those photos I suggested just reply and then click on the camera icon to upload them to the thread.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply