cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dagon ,the Bible record , circa BC 2000

微信图片_20230201122417.jpg微信图片_20230201122432.jpg

Dagon was an ancient northwest Semitic god worshiped by the early Amorites and by the people of Ebla and Ugarit. He was also a major god, perhaps the chief god, of the biblical Philistines.

In the biblical story of Samson, it is a temple of Dagon which the Hebrew hero pulled down in the final act of his drama. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, this is a modern fake designed to scam unsuspecting collectors. Ebay is the world wide leader in the illicit trade of fake antiquities. I am seeing a lot of these carvings sold as Babylonian, Sumerian, Mesopotamian, and Anatolian.  In a completed eBay search of ‘ancient carvings” , I estimate that less than 1% are authentic antiquities.  Ebay has long been a haven for criminals dealing in such fakes. These criminals and unsuspecting and unknowledgeable buyers have made eBay employees like Griff and stockholders quite rich. 

There is even a discussion board set up offsite to discuss ancient eBay artifakes  here .

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

What is your question?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

my question is this item a REAL ONE?

WHERE THE SELL GET IT? IS SITES WHERE  IRAQ DIGGED?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The lines seem to be too well defined to be over 4000 years old.

Probably a modern copy.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Hi, this is a modern fake designed to scam unsuspecting collectors. Ebay is the world wide leader in the illicit trade of fake antiquities. I am seeing a lot of these carvings sold as Babylonian, Sumerian, Mesopotamian, and Anatolian.  In a completed eBay search of ‘ancient carvings” , I estimate that less than 1% are authentic antiquities.  Ebay has long been a haven for criminals dealing in such fakes. These criminals and unsuspecting and unknowledgeable buyers have made eBay employees like Griff and stockholders quite rich. 

There is even a discussion board set up offsite to discuss ancient eBay artifakes  here .

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Sounds like you know your history, @waxu_93.  Thanks for sharing. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I attended a auction about 12 miles away several years ago.

It was on a former site with out building on the edge of a small town of 250 people. Items were displayed on hay racks with additional items in the some of the buildings.

There was a huge amount of stone working tools ranging from hand tools to electric tools. There were large jeweler diamond grinding wheels, belt sanders, grinders, hundreds of Dremel bits, chisels, hammers, shapers.

There was also a bunch of vintage picture frames and crates, old wood salvaged from crates and picture frames, partially assembled display cases made from the old wood, boxes of old nails including square cut nails.

There were bunches of field stones in buckets. Most farmers here have one or more piles of these typically located near an entrance to a field that anyone can pick up who happens to be driving by.

There were buckets of axe heads and arrow heads in various stages of completion as well as completed ones. Some were in display cases.

Obviously to anyone with common sense this was a one man operation to produce fake Native American objects and then sell those objects in fake display cases made from vintage wood. The auctioneer even tried to goad people into buying the completed ones by saying these were real.

People bought them, even a local Native American originally form outside this area, bought them. They were going to try to sell them as real elsewhere. All that would take would be to take them to another auctioneer away from the evidence of a scam.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Interesting story, and thanks for sharing it. 

One I've seen:  Remote rural road.  Crudely lettered signs along the road point to a sale led to an old couple in a semi-derelict home, on property with semi-derelict barn and outbuildings.  Poor old folks selling off their stuff to pay bills.  Blah-blah. 

Pretty much everything for sale had come recently from Asia and parts of Eastern Europe -- fake / repro cast iron banks, rocking horses, flow blue dishes, depression glass, cameo and cranberry glass, clocks, walking sticks, watches and watch fobs, advertising signs, you-name-it. 

I learned later the couple had rented the place for three months, cash in advance.  I'm sure they made a bundle before they moved on, selling all that junk to the unsuspecting (and the greedy, people willing to get something cheap from people they believed to be in dire circumstances).

Every once in awhile someone will come here with some object for identification, saying they know it is genuine because it was sold to them by an old woman or an old man.  As though old people don't lie or cheat.  🙄

-

Message 8 of 8
latest reply