cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know anything about WWI uniforms or machinery of that era?

I have a small lot of original military photos dated 1914-1918. None are American or English.  Many have handwriting that I THINK is German but it's often hard enough for me just to read handwriting in English.

What are these 2 machines? The one looks like a portable still. Is it for fire fighting? What is the other? It's not self propelled but might it be a generator , a pump or something?

What are these uniforms?

Thanks again for any help,

Karl.DSCN3615.JPGDSCN3610.JPGDSCN3613.JPGDSCN3614.JPGDSCN3616.JPG

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@udoittwo wrote:
Many have handwriting that I THINK is German but it's often hard enough for me just to read handwriting in English.

Can you show some examples of the handwriting?

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

kriegsmarine on the sailors hats certainly is from germany

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

TheDSCN3627.JPGDSCN3628.JPGDSCN3629.JPGDSCN3630.JPGse are some basic postcards but many have more writing on them.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

The uniforms appear to be from Austria Hungary who of course spoke German.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I don't even know where to begin with this stuff. I bought them because I think they're fascinating and hoping they have some value but I don't even know where to begin. Questions like, what is this car, what does this mean, or what is this thing? I see some are a little earlier around 1906.

I paid between $3-5 per picture and now I wondering did I eat the bear or does the bear eat me today?

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

In probably half the pictures the soldiers have the 3 stars on their collars. If I can ID that nation, that would be a good start but this guy, to me anyway, looks Russian.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Piece of history here. Very interesting. Show it on the stamp forum to make their day.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Stamp-Board/gp-p/TheStampBoard

KUK felpost stamps and cancellation used by Austrian military for occupied territories 1915 - 1918.

Rare card. Austrian soldier, prisoner of war in Russian camp in Irkutsk (by the Baikal lake) is writing in German to Wien.

The card is censored by Russia (stampel of left) and then Austria.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18
inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,
you might live in Michigan. Jeff Foxworthy.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

My advice - I would start with a single item. Shows us the front and back. One of the postcards would be a good start. Showing us a random mixture of fronts and backs of items is confusing as is the mixture of different languages and dates.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Lots of clues, hard to make sense of so many at a time.

Prisoners of war - written on one item in French. Red Cross emblem shown in others.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

k.k langstrum baon no 83 one of baons formatted by Austria 

https://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=it&to=en&ref=SERP&refd=www.bing.com&dl=en&rr=UC&a=https%3a%2f%...

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@c*me*4*lefton*info wrote:

My advice - I would start with a single item. Shows us the front and back. One of the postcards would be a good start. Showing us a random mixture of fronts and backs of items is confusing as is the mixture of different languages and dates.

Agreed!  I'm feeling as overwhelmed as OP says he is, presented with this array of fronts, backs, photos, cards, French, German...  Don't know which  backs go with which fronts, if any do.  Too much for me to sort through, to offer help.

Also don't know what research OP has already done with this stuff.  Has he started with the obvious, like a Google image search on that Red Cross wagon that holds some sort of equipment (steam sterilizer..., as a wild guess)?  Research on visible insignia and patches?  Too big a job for me to care to duplicate efforts.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Just noticed : the Russian-French-German-English writing card:  Abcmpia above the address = Austria in Russian

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@guangxi_hone wrote:

Just noticed : the Russian-French-German-English writing card:  Abcmpia above the address = Austria in Russian

Ah! That is a brilliant observation. I was going to add a few details about this card, but I wanted to figure out that word first, and I couldn't.

Georg.png

The simple greeting on the left of the card says:

Herzlichste Grüße sendet

Euer Georg

(Your Georg sends kindest regards)

The card is addressed to a Georg Rosenkranz in Vienna (same first name as the soldier, so likely his father).

Someone has added a cross mark on the back, with the comment Georg als Feldwebel (Georg as a Feldwebel). This link has some information about the rank of Feldwebel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldwebel 

There's a corresponding cross mark on the leg of one of the soldiers on the front, so that must be the sender of the card, the prisoner Georg. And as you've already pointed out, the card bears censorship office stamps for Иркутск (Irkutsk) and Wien (Vienna).

Message 15 of 18
latest reply