cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have info to share about this hat? Looks like a cantaloupe shell underneath w/makers mark

D51ABB58-AE59-4CD8-AF9D-4C1AED8D9B0B.jpeg337DA85F-161B-4BD5-9EDA-A5E0C5E1E314.jpeg8252B8C2-2B06-4745-8AB9-77E900953A8E.jpeg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Anyone have info to share about this hat? Looks like a cantaloupe shell underneath w/makers mark

Do you know for sure it's a hat?

Rita

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe both the signature stamp and the depiction are Korean (Hangul)

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous 

That would go along with the style of attire that the women have are wearing.  Interesting, with the women doing laundry at the river.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I can't say what it is, but I'd say that it's more like a gourd than a cantaloupe, so you might want to try using "gourd" as one of your search terms.

=

=

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@maxine*j 

Airport Souvenir?  Contemporary commercial 'folk art'?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Not a hat - it's supposed to hang flat against the wall, like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333516151594 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I am sure, it is a hat, which was made in Korea. I had an article about this type of hat

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@praanj_74 wrote:

I am sure, it is a hat, which was made in Korea. I had an article about this type of hat

Did you check out my link? Aside from anything else, the Hanja character on the rim is (I think) :

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%92%8C 

The character is upside-down in the photo because the object is wrongly oriented - it's a wall-hanging, not a hat.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Not a hat - it's supposed to hang flat against the wall, like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333516151594 

BINGO!   You nailed it.

I figured if "gourd" were added to the search terms, this thing could be identified.  I was just disinclined to do it myself.   Now if OP will search on something like Korean gourd wall hanging  or Korean carved gourd wall hanging,  I imagine many will show up.

=

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you all very much!!  You’ve all been very helpful in figuring out what this is.  I was told by a “Chinese” co-worker that it appeared to him to be Korean w/Kanji characters.  So he was right about that after all... he just wasn’t 100% certain about it, and that’s why I decided to post it here to see what the general consensus was. Thanks again 😊

Message 11 of 11
latest reply