cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1900 Lithograph

Hello, can't quite make out the last name of the artist on the lithographs.  Appreciate any help.20221222_184732[1].jpg20221222_184855[1].jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

1900 Lithograph

I believe I see strike marks which indicates that you may have an aquatint or colored etching or engraving and not a lithograph. 

@shashedevind0  is correct that the artist (Jules Girardet) of the original painting "Siege of Saragossa" is not the same person whose signature is on your print (looks like A.L. Shaw).  So the signer of yours could be the artist who created the work after the painting by Girardet  (in other words, copied it).    

Rita

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

1900 Lithograph

Well as far as what I could find, the name which appears to be on the painting isn't the one who drew it. You could find the details on it by the below link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_siege_of_Zaragoza

Scroll down and you will see the painting and the original painter's name.

Happy Holidays

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

1900 Lithograph

Quite informative, thank you.  Happy Holidays.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

1900 Lithograph

Happy to assist.

Happy Holidays.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

1900 Lithograph

I believe I see strike marks which indicates that you may have an aquatint or colored etching or engraving and not a lithograph. 

@shashedevind0  is correct that the artist (Jules Girardet) of the original painting "Siege of Saragossa" is not the same person whose signature is on your print (looks like A.L. Shaw).  So the signer of yours could be the artist who created the work after the painting by Girardet  (in other words, copied it).    

Rita

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

1900 Lithograph

Rita, thank you so much for the info.  It's quite a journey with some of the artwork that you come across.  I will continue to research with the newfound knowledge from you kind folks.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

1900 Lithograph

You're very welcome!

Rita

Message 7 of 7
latest reply