cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nikon D3400 Camera/lenses

I have a Nikon D3300 camera with zoom lens.  I am thinking of getting a Nikon D3400 camera.  Are the lenses compatible with each other?  Can I use my zoom lens from the 3300 on a Nikon D3400?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I am a long-time Nikon SLR/DSLR and Hasselblad (medium format) shooter, pro bodies and, as such, not particularly familiar with consumer models; that said, did some research for you and understand the D3400 is a fantastic little DSLR, with a Bluetooth system to let its images load automatically to your phone and is also said to be the lightest DSLR/SLR with battery and data card of all time, super easy to carry and supposedly very quiet—a huge bonus, if I may say so, when it comes to candid shots and pro bodies – NEAT!

As to lens(es) compatibility, depends on what zoom lens(es) you currently have. Whilst the D3300, with no built-in AF motor (for manual focus lenses), only autofocuses with AF-S and older AF-I  lenses [older screw-type AF and AF-D (non  AF-S  lenses)] work fine so long as you focus them manually, apparently, the D3400 seemingly doesn’t work well with manual focus lenses or any AF lens with an aperture ring, at all. Otherwise, and that said, it’s supposed to come with an 18-55mm VR AF-P lens anyway and, if your zoom is also an AF-P (i.e., not a manual focus or any AF lens with an aperture ring), should be fine.

Great to hear that you’re enjoying photography, trust this helps and keep on shooting!

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Short answer: Yes.

--Everything below this line is a sig--

This post created with 100% recycled electrons.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply