cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique 999 button charm information.

I have recently aquired a vintage string of buttons I believe is refered to as a 999 button charm and I am looking for someone to help me with identification and ideas on how best to sell them.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Typically this type of button string is called a "charmstring". Lore has it that once the 500th or 1000th button was added (they had to all be given to the owner and not purchased), that's when the owner (usually a young woman) would be married. I doubt it worked out that way very often, but that's the story. Knowing a little something about how to date buttons will help in figuring out the age of your charmstring. Images will help. If you can zoom in on certain clusters and post the image here (see to the left "photo album", you can upload your image there and I'll approve it when I get the notice to do so). Once the relative age of the string is determined, selling it on eBay would be a good way to go. Don't take it apart. Intact charm strings are very desirable to collectors. -Carol C-
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have loaded hotos into the album twice. Does it normally take this long or have I done something wrong?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Once is enough. I don't stop by this group everyday so anyone posting images has to be patient until I can view and approve them. Your album is posted. You have some nice buttons on the charmstring including: Uniform, a china igloo (image 2 and 3), this is a scarce type of china button but the white one is most commonly found, Goodyear hard rubber, "charmstring" glass (small swirlbacks), lots of small jewels (glass in metal). If it's on the original string you have a nice find there. Looks like a beaded string? Or what's the black squarish looking pieces going thru some of the button shanks? Thanks for showing the images. Are you selling that charmstring on eBay? -Carol-
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I probably will. I am most concerned about the uniform buttons as I know some can be quite valuable by themselves. I really don't want to take it apart, but I would like to make sure the uniform buttons are not rare one's. I got this at auction. It was inside an antique sewing machine drawer that belonged to a woman who had collected antiques for 75 years. No one checked to see if there was anything in the drawers before selling the machine.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Show some close up images of the uniform buttons. I can ID them for you. Post the images here in the album, I'll check back to approve them and give you info on the uniform ones. -Carol-
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Actually don't bother with more images, I went back and looked at the 8 images you posted previously. I only see 2 uniform buttons. One is "motorman" and there's a General Service Eagle. The motorman button is from railroading and not rare, might sell at a button show for $6-$10 but probably less. The General Service eagle button is yesteryear's version of the current design used by the US Army and was worn by enlistees. It could be Civil War period but is a very common type. Look on the back, see if there's a depressed channel with a raised backmark (letters are raised rather than being depressed), this is called an RMDC backmark (raised mark in a depressed channel), if it has this type of back, it's Civil War period and worth $10-$20 depending on overall condition. The igloo china button on the string is the most valuable one, those can sell in the $90 range but the white ones are the least desirable compared to those with touches of paint or combinations of black/white or mottled. There is a small button with a flag and the word "Union", it's not a uniform button but a patriotic type, those sell for $7-$10 but the Union one with flag is common. If you list this, consider waiting until the fall when bidding is better. You have lots of buttons collectors call "charmstring glass" (also called swirlbacks) on this string giving it good age credibility. The only thing tht concerns me is the way it's strung. Looks like black beads are on the string which I've never seen before. Being an individually compiled thing, of course this could be explained as whimsy by the person who put it together but it makes it hard to authenticate the string used is really as old as the buttons. Restrung charmstrings are not worth very much. -Carol-
Message 7 of 7
latest reply