cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questionable selling tactics

I purchased a vintage doll for $300 which was a very good price and the seller cancelled the sale about an hour later.  The reason given was “out of stock or damaged”.  When I questioned the seller they stated when packing the doll something happened and they didn’t want to sell something that was not as pictured or described.  They claim to have high standards as a seller.  After further discussion with the seller it is obvious they found out the doll is worth more than they sold it for and I’m sure that is why they cancelled.  Seems like they abused the seller cancellation policy.  I’ve been buying on eBay for long time and this is not the first time this has happened.  There need to be harsher punishments for sellers who do this.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@mychildhoodtreasures   Sorry that happened.  However eBay has VERY harsh punishment for sellers that cancel as Out of stock/ damaged.   The seller just received a DEFECT, just a few defects ( which can be received for other reasons too) can drop a sellers account to below standard and they have to pay an extra 6% in sellers fees.  If they do not improve their customer service then they are banned forever from eBay and can't open new accounts either.  It's hard to bring your account up from Below Standard since eBay also suppresses a sellers listings in search when they are below standard.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.  While that punishment my seem harsh to some, it does not deter enough sellers from doing this.  The punishment should be even harsher.  As I said, this is not the first time this has happened to me.  It is a well known problem and continues to happen.  I gave up complaining years ago, but with this recent occurrence, I felt like venting agin.  Bottom line it is a very dishonorable practice.  Thank you for listening!

Message 3 of 3
latest reply