cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost packages in USPS system

Hello, I am having a very troubling situation. I mailed 10 packages of sports cards I sold on eBay at a local window unit of a local post office. They were all in similar bubble mailers with eBay shipping labels I purchased. They were scanned in on Nov 9th and beyond the USPS saying they had possession of the packages at the office I left them, the trail goes cold. 

Since then I have been blown up with messages and cases for the cards. I literally have been run in circles by the USPS and have been assured by eBay reps they will handle this since I did what I was supposed to do and literally have no control upon turning in the packages. However eBay has apparently sent no messages to the buyers on my behalf  and some of the cases are getting closed in favor of the buyers after I was told this would not happen by the eBay reps with monies being refunded to the buyers and my not having a say in the matter with whomever is handling the cases. Nobody wants to fix anything it seems.

What in the world am I supposed to do at this point? Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

@dc2837   If a buyer files  a refund request for an item that is not received then you MUST refund the buyer.  I am sorry but you got bad advice from customer service.

When you do not refund the buyer eBay forces a refund, you get a defect and you do not get your sellers fees back.

You have to file postal insurance claims on your missing packages IF they were insured.  Insurance is for the seller, the buyer is covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. 

A seller is always responsible for the buyer receiving an item on time and in the condition it was described in.

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I don't know who told you that they would handle it, but this is not something eBay does. You have no choice but to refund your buyers - do not wait for the buyers to ask eBay to step in once a claim is opened. They will refund the buyers, not refund your fees, and put a defect on your account for an unresolved case. Once a claim is opened, you have 3 business days to refund.

After refunding explain to the buyer that their package is in the system, and will eventually be delivered.  Ask them to write 'return to sender' on the package and put it back in the mail without opening it.

There is obviously a bin of packages waiting to be processed somewhere in the system. If you have not talked to your local post master or supervisor, go to your PO  and do that in person.  When it happened to me, a number of years ago, it was a whole tractor trailer that was out of order and did not get unloaded for several weeks, so it was more obvious, but my post master helped pressure the sorting center to figure it out.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply