cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item returned to wrong address

Hi There - I recently had a pretty terrible eBay experience. The buyer claimed to only have received part of their order despite me having shipped it in its entirety. eBay ruled in favor of the buyer and they were meant to return the item to me. They shipped the item to an old address in another state (not my return address nor the return address that was on the label). 

When I contacted eBay, they told me to ask my neighbors and look around for the package - despite me telling them I live in a different state. I then appealed the return and they said tracking shows 'delivered' so they denied my appeal. Now I'm stuck getting cookie-cutter answers from eBay saying to update my return address, but nothing about me having lost out of the item from this order.

Do I have an options here? Shocked how poorly eBay treats sellers.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @wh.us.dddm4dh 

Sellers have 5 addresses to set up in their account.  About the only thing you can fight is to first confirm all your addresses were changed prior to that item Selling and then ask eBay why they issued a return shipping label with the wrong address?  Addresses Settings (ebay.com)

Then ask them for a courtesy refund of your money because they made the return shipping label mistake.  While I doubt they will do that if you can prove they made the mistake it never hurts to ask.

Now, I noticed that you do not accept returns and historically we see issues with that setting and Sellers losing flexibility with the return & refund process.  eBay will often rule in the Buyer's favor and let them keep the items with that setting and Buyers know that.  When you Accept returns you can have the Buyer pay the return shipping and your Seller protections will help you cut losses on a bogus return:  Seller protections | eBay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for the thorough response. This experience has really turned me off to eBay as I understand sellers have zero protections. I lost money on the transaction and eBay acknowledges the return was sent to the wrong address. Even so, they're telling me to contact old neighbors to see if they can look for it and ship it to me. Ridiculous. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@wh.us.dddm4dh wrote:

Thank you for the thorough response. This experience has really turned me off to eBay as I understand sellers have zero protections. I lost money on the transaction and eBay acknowledges the return was sent to the wrong address. Even so, they're telling me to contact old neighbors to see if they can look for it and ship it to me. Ridiculous. 

@wh.us.dddm4dh   Their advice to contact old neighbors was out of line although we have made that same suggestion to Buyers and Sellers here because sadly, the address change thing happens regularly.  In retail sales there will always be bogus returns and scams, it's part of doing business.  We've been scammed to ... like Buyers returning something other than what they purchased or returning something that gets damaged on the way back because of their poor re-packing.   As long as those instances are a low % of what one Sells they are simply write offs on the annual tax return.

I use the 30 Day FREE Returns setting on ALL my items, it gives me the most flexibility when a return happens.  That includes items worth hundreds of dollars, not just the lower priced items.  While most are legitimate returns I get to use Seller protections for those that are not legit to cut my loss.  It's just business, nothing personal and currently my return rate is 0.45% ... that is just under 1/2 half of 1 Percent ... that would be 6 returns out of 1,345 transactions (about 1 out of 224) ... that is manageable.  

In the end how you approach the issue of returns is certainly your choice but we see a lot of Sellers posting here saying " ... but I had No returns accepted on that item and eBay let the Buyer keep it and gave them their money back ... ".  For some strange reason they think that setting protects them against any returns when in fact it doesn't and it certainly does not mean No refund ... 

Don't get me wrong, I am sorry that happened to you and I dislike returns just like everyone, I just set things up that allows me the most flexibility when they happen because I accept the fact that they will ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 4
latest reply