cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

IMG_2803.jpeg

 what do I do from here if it’s a scam. Is there any way I can contact eBay about this?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is this a scam?

As a new seller, you will attract many more scam offers than legitimate ones.

Never rely on an email. Go to your eBay account directly (not using a link from an email) and see whether you have been paid there.

A message that says "I am interested in your item, kindly text me", an offer equal to or greater than your buy it now price, asking for your PayPal email address or a request for a gift card is generally the start of a scam where the scammer winds up sending a phony payment email that makes it look like the seller has received a payment when none has actually been received. Scammers like to target new sellers, particularly those selling expensive items.

Sending contact information (text or email) prior to a transaction payment is a violation of eBay policy; this policy is designed to protect honest buyers and sellers from this sort of thing, and to prevent off-eBay sales.

Never buy a gift card for anyone unless you are giving them a gift.

As a seller you should always check your account directly (not following a link in an email) to see if you have actually been paid prior to shipping. If an actual buyer does not send an actual payment, after four days you can cancel for nonpayment; this will prevent either party from leaving feedback and give the "buyer" a nonpayment strike. Be sure to set your buying requirement to reject bids or purchases from users with two or more strikes in the last year.

eBay will likely remove the scammer's account shortly, but the scammer will just create a new one or hijack an old one and continue sending scam offers and messages. Sellers must remain wary of any user that wants the seller to violate eBay policy.

You can avoid many common scams by listing your item for a fixed price with immediate payment required and by not accepting any offers. That way the buyer must complete checkout and actually pay in order to proceed.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Is this a scam?

You report it to the website where you first found the ad.

EBay has nothing to do with anything so there is nothing to report. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Is this a scam?

99+% certainty of scam.  eBay does not release a  hold on funds upon proof of shipping, it does so some amount of time after proof of DELIVERY.  Other language is not what one would expect from eBay, especially the part about not believing the website/app that the buyer hasn't paid.

Is there a way in that email app to view the headers for the email?  If you dig you will almost certainly find that it is not from ebay.com.

Has s/he also requested that you send a gift card (for which s/he will pay you more than the face value) with the package?

And again (can't emphasize it enough) ALWAYS check actual eBay (do not use any links in an email to get there) for actual payment.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply