cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a waste of time to fill in the item description box when listing items?

I started listing again on EBay in the past year. I used to sell on EBay years ago when it was actually fun and profitable. I am starting to slowly get back into it, but I do not have an EBay store since I have just under 200 listings and it is more of a hobby at the moment. It was going pretty good until EBay decided to start “strategically” placing other seller’s photos of their listings under the item specifics on my individual listings. I have had potential buyers message me and ask for measurements of my items that do not have a space in the item specifics to put it. I have to message them back and tell them that the measurements are listed in the item description at the bottom of the listing. It’s obvious that once the potential buyers scroll down and see the other seller’s item photos under my item specifics, they stop scrolling and move on with their search. I know several other sellers that leave the item description box empty, so is it a waste of time to bother filling it in since no one sees it or doesn’t take the time to read it? Is everyone else’s listings the same way, or am I being “punished” by EBay for not having a store and not promoting my listings and paying the additional fees?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@afterthoughts13   I think for clothing it's best use the tape measure in the photos and put it in the description too.   I know this is a hassle with the description box being pushed down past the promoted listings section.  

I have things in my condition box that buyers ask about from time to time like they can't see it when it's right at the top of the listing.   

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Yes, I have seen other sellers put pictures in their listings with the tape measure. I may have to try that and see if it makes a difference. The last few items that I listed today, I added the words in the condition box “Read item description below for more details”.  I’ll have to keep trying different things to see if it makes a difference. I don’t think it is right for EBay to add other seller’s listings, especially if sellers are paying additional fees for promoted listings for the purpose of having their listings show up higher in the search results. It seems like that just defeats the purpose! I know a few other sellers have mentioned that if everyone promotes their listings, only one can be at the top.

Thank you for your response and suggestion.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@afterthoughts13   I know that the other sellers listings showing on your listings isn't great but remember that when you promote listings that YOUR items are showing on other sellers listings sometimes too.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes, I completely understand that. I have also never promoted my listings. I am trying to defend all sellers on EBay. The point I am trying to make is that other seller’s listings should not be showing up on anyone’s listings (at all) regardless of the level of seller that they are or whether or not they promote their listings. It never used to be this way, but I can’t see EBay changing this. They are in the business to make money, not keep their seller’s happy. If they are insisting on doing this, they should at least move them all the way to the bottom of the listing under the item description box to give the seller a fair chance at selling their item to the buyer that clicked on their listing. I think the only way around this (for me), is to simplify my listings and put more information in the “item condition” box because I spend way too much time trying to make my listings perfect to avoid constant questions from buyers. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply