cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International sale added final value fees

Recently I was invoiced for "extra" international final value fees for an item shipped to Texas.

Ebay states the member is based in Japan but the only info shared to me is a domestice ship-to address. 

Can anyone explain this policy? Why is Ebay entitled to an extra percentage of international sales? Is there something I'm missing here?

Im a 24 yr member but lately im not sure it's worth it anymore to sell here.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The extra amount for international transactions is based on where the payment is coming from, not where the package is going to, and is to cover the extra costs of record-keeping and reporting of such "cross-border payments".

PayPal let you block such payments so you wouldn't incur the extra fee, but eBay won't let you do that.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The international fee is a banking charge that is assessed by cross-border banks (it is not a currency conversion). eBay uses either the buyer's registered address or shipping address to assess the additional banking fee. It was previously collected on PayPal transactions and now we see it on eBay transactions.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling-fees/selling/selling-fees?id=4822#section8

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

So block all international purchases and ship-to locations?

Will Ebay keep inventing new fees until there are no sellers left?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@arrowman1 wrote:

So block all international purchases and ship-to locations?

Will Ebay keep inventing new fees until there are no sellers left?

The only block you can put (in your Buyer Requirements) is on the buyer's primary shipping address (if it is not in a location you set up to ship to), and a buyer using a US forwarding service as his/her primary shipping address won't be blocked by that.  And will be able to to pay by giving the US address of the forwarding service.   

This is NOT a "new fee",  it existed in PayPal for as long as I remember and was set up in Managed Payments as soon as that started.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply