cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income tax on eBay sales

I just received a $1,485.00 Income tax notice for 2019 eBay sales of $3,228.00!? Is it me or does this seem a little extreme. Was reported by PayPal, I didn’t even know this was a thing!

Anyone else had a similar situation?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Income tax on eBay sales

I would assume that includes penalties.  Doesn't the notice include any details?

You need to file an amended return with schedule C, as already mentioned, where you can calculate your net income - you do not owe tax on the entire 3200.  You should also file an amended return for 2020, if appropriate.

You can check both paypal and managed payments for 1099s issued last year, and probably just paypal for 2019.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Income tax on eBay sales

All income must be reported whether tax is due or not.  You need to use Schedule C to report the income and subtract your costs and expenses to find out whether you owe any tax.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Income tax on eBay sales

I would assume that includes penalties.  Doesn't the notice include any details?

You need to file an amended return with schedule C, as already mentioned, where you can calculate your net income - you do not owe tax on the entire 3200.  You should also file an amended return for 2020, if appropriate.

You can check both paypal and managed payments for 1099s issued last year, and probably just paypal for 2019.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply