cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay demanding proceeds paid to charity

During most of March of 2018, I spent hours trying to set up an account for Ebay and Paypal where donors could donate all or part of the sales through Ebay to the charity. This was a long involved and often very confusing process. Eventually, I was told for the 4th or 5th time that all was in order, so listed a number of items, designating the proceeds be given to the Foundation.

Many buyers purchased the items during April 2018 and paid for their purchases using the charity Paypal account. On May 8th, Paypal issued a money transfer to the charity Account for $550. The charity appreciated the funds and put them to use.

PAYPAL ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Your Payment

Gross Amount

-$550.00 USD

PayPal Fee

$0.00 USD

Net Amount

-$550.00 USD

Contact info

Bank Account

Funding details

Funding Type: Bank Account

Funding Source: $550.00 USD - __________________

Funding Type: PayPal Balance

Funding Source: -$550.00 USD - PayPal Account

I recently attempted to fundraise using this method again, but got the following account block;

Create your listing

Customize

It looks like there's a problem with this listing.

• Your charity listing status is suspended because you have unpaid donations. Please visit your Donation Account dashboard in My eBay on the website to resolve.

When checking the account, it shows that Ebay is demanding the funds from sales between April 8th to the 24th. be sent to them, in spite of Paypal’s distributing the monies to the charity as intended.

I spoke with several Ebay employees (got transferred a lot) on Monday September 17th. finishing up with a Maya Jones (according to their records). At that time, she said she would investigate the problem and get back to me in a few days. The reality is that she did not and Ebay is still demanding the charity’s Paypal sent donation be returned to Ebay.

So the Ebay donation program seems to be a scam to enrich Ebay. Sellers designate the proceeds be given to a charity, Paypal acts accordingly and sends the money to the charity and Ebay demands that the charity sends the proceeds Ebay or the charity can not participate in the Ebay donation program.

How does the charity benefit from this? I can figure out how Ebay benefits. Instead of normal sales where Ebay gets a percentage cut on the sales price, Ebay get 100%.   How many other charities are having their fundraising skimmed off or taken by Ebay?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)