cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are American Silver Eagles 2023 magnetic? If they are does that mean they are counterfeit?

Are American Silver Eagles 2023 magnetic? If they are are they counterfeits?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Are American Silver Eagles 2023 magnetic? If they are does that mean they are counterfeit?

@rohas 

US one-ounce eagles are almost pure silver (99.9% purity).

Magnets do not stick to silver. Magnets stick to iron.

So yes, the coin is counterfeit.

Coins coming from China are always counterfeit.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@rohas 

< Are American Silver Eagles 2023 magnetic >    

No.  They won't pick up nails or stick to your refrigerator.  But there is a test that dealers sometimes use, and that's to let a silver coin slide down a magnetized incline.  The way it was explained to me is that the lines of magnetism induce a voltage in the moving coin, which then interacts with the magnetic field and inhibits the coin from sliding freely.  This inhibition could be mistakenly attributed to magnetism of the coin itself.  

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@gosimus wrote: 

But there is a test that dealers sometimes use....  

Too late to edit, so I'm posting clarification.  What I should have said was that a dealer demonstrated this test for me.  One dealer.  I think it was inappropriate for me to state this as a generality on the basis of a single experience.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply