cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10.00 Selling limit? - Ebay pushing Debit / Credit card?

It says I'm an Ebay member since '14.  366 positives (100%).  Active, with weekly / monthly transactions.  I've sold 2 vehicles, one in '18 for 6000.00, another item in '19 for 1000.00, where I listed 3 such items.  Never a problem.

Today I've saved up a bunch to sell (what I usually do), and my limit is 10.00.  I try to increase.  Ebay automated system says I was already increased  (4 days ago), and have to wait another month.  Increased from what?  7.00?

So I call customer support.  This is where it gets strange.

- I get Ebay support.  He is front India, and we both have a hard time communicating.

- Customer support says I can raise it easily.  I just need to open a new Ebay Debit / Credit card.  I tell him I don't want that.  Is there another way?

- Ebay support says, yes, they can verify me.  I just need to follow steps.  Great.

- Ebay support says he needs me to download Remote Access Control software, from my phone and allow him to take control of my phone. 

- 15 minutes after great heroics, this is done.  And he now controls all phone assets (you have to grant "Anydesk" access to all things)

- Ebay support says he now needs to control my PC.  That he also needs to use my PC to verify.

- Ebay support also says he wants to have access to my Paypal account.

This is where the red flags accumulate to a point where I become cautious.  We are 30 minutes in to a support call, I have done everything at great painstaking details, and he is doing nothing (it appears) with my phone after now controlling it.

I am not about to allow control of my PC and my Paypal account (for which I have a bank account linked). 

This sounds like phishing.

I politely thank Ebay support for his time, end the call.  Cancel the remote control.  Un-install the Anydesk software, and thank God that I did not give social security, password, or other personal information away that could comprise information or monetary assets.

I pray that I didn't get hacked on my mobile device.  I go to the site where I started my Ebay support incident, and it looks phony.  I remember it looking phony when I started.  Here is the link:

https://sites.google.com/view/ebay-customers-services

Does any of this sound correct?

Is Ebay forcing unreasonable limits on long time customers in the name of aquiring new Ebay Debit / Credit card accounts?

How can I sell my (estimated 20 items @ 750.00) with Ebay help?

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)