eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

This is for all of the Avon representatives out there (and for all other would-be Avon buyers as well). I am an Avon representative and I have been instructed by Avon that it is AGAINST COMPANY POLICY to sell current or future Avon products on any online service. The only way that is allowed is if you sign up for a website through myavon.com. I've noticed an increasing number of representatives on eBay violating this company policy and have tried to enlighten as many as possible, only to be told by most that it's none of my business. Unfortunately for those who feel that way, Avon will soon be warning them that if they do NOT desist, they will no longer be Avon representatives.
Please use plain text.
jewl1
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

in reply to tiny_treasures_for_you
I am curious - Why would Avon not let their people sell on ebay?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

Tell you what - when Avon tells me & those that have the other 18,923 auctions listed - then ...
but thanks for the tip all the same
Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

JEWL ~ I don't know the set-up now, but when I sold Avon many years ago (late '70s - early '80s) each representative had a specifiic, assigned, and protected sales territory. That kept us from competing against each other, and allowed us to establish good, long-term relationships with regular customers. Anyone caught routinely selling Avon at the workplace, or at parties, or at swapmeets -- or anywhere else outside the assigned territory -- received a warning. If the sales outside the terriory continued, the person could no longer be an Avon rep. It worked and I was able to make a reasonably good income for us at a time when things were rough financially. NOW...I know times have changed, so this may no longer be Avon's policy. After all, actually going door to door as I did would net you very little nowadays -- most of the women are away from home, out working their own jobs, and the ones who are home are probably too cautious to let a "stranger" in the house! But you seemed curious about what Avon's thinking could possibly be, so I thought you might find a bit of "history" interesting.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

Avon needs to get over her bad self...Most all the women I know order their Avon off eBay and have very good relationships with their ebay sellers...me included...It is a new age as Avon knows from all the new products they sell. As I see it...this is a great new way to get more reps and sell more products...I can't imagine they would limit themselves...to the ridiculous... I would say...Competition is always there so put your blinders on and run Avon, run!!!.....lol...light'n up...everyone always wants to keep all the cookies.....SHARE...it is good for kids to do that...teeeeee...heeeeeee
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

My mother-in-law is 86 years old and she use to sell Avon in the early 1960s. I have a few posted and plan on posting more. If it was up to me I would take all of her empty decanter and give them away.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

In the 80's I sold Avon door to door. I then became a district supervisor and gave out the same company line that territories were protected etc...until I had someone flagrantly selling anywhere and everywhere.

The area rep over me checked with Avon and we found to our shock that there really was no legal way Avon could stop the reps from doing this because they had not signed any contract to that effect.

It was just something we had all be told. I guess Avon expected us all to be lady like about it. After that, all bets were off. I left books in stores and made deals with clerks for a percentage of sales if they took orders and the orders were delivered to them. I went into areas that had no reps and probably would never have a rep because it was too sparsely populated and had women take the books to work and gave them a percentage. They got paid a higher percentage actually than they would have got on their own because all the sales were credited to me.

I never made less than 50% commission. And all my ladies didn't have to buy the sample bags, books, samples etc. It was a good deal for all of us.

I did that for 2 years and supported three kids on the money I earned with no other means of support.

I don't think things have changed much.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

I think this is silly. I used to be an Avon rep and if I still were I might sell on Ebay - gosh, if it would bring them more sales, why not!?

Anyway, if you're not a rep and you have an Avon item you want to sell, they can't do anything to you, can they?
Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

Hi, countrybaker ~ I was selling Avon in Canada, and I did actually sign a sort of "territory" contract. Maybe contract law is different there, so something could be enforced that couldn't be here...? I think your idea was was fine. People who wanted to make a few dollars in a very casual way, selling mostly to family and friends often did not want to invest in the brochures, case, samples, demo products, etc. (it did add up!) so they didn't sell at all. You gave them a chance to make that bit of money, you made some extra, Avon got its cut. As they say, "What's not to like?"
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Selling Avon on eBay

I very recently considered selling Avon here & contacted a local rep about getting started but she wouldn't sign me up because I only intended to sell on-line. Having shared that info - if Avon was truly serious about keeping their products off eBay you'd think they would have joined VeRO by now but I just checked and they are not on the list, but I noticed both Mary Kay, and Merle Norman are.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I sure like to see Avon handle this, because if they do they are giving other cosmetic company a hand, they stop and it leaves room for others to sell their products.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I sold Avon for years....

The fact is that reps buy the product through Avon and Avon makes the same money whether it's sold on Ebay, or to the lady next door. They set the selling price in the catalog, but if a person can make more $ through Ebay, more power to them.

I haven't bought any Avon on Ebay, but I've bought Mary Kay. Their prices are so high, I wouldn't consider buying them from anywhere but ebay, where I can get them for almost 1/2 the price, including s&h.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

I have sold Avon and stopped because it is so much cheaper on eBay. I buy it on ebay and I agree with the above poster, the reps pay for the item and if they sell to a neighbor, relative or on eBay it should make no difference. I think once they did away with territories this is really a non issue.
Michelle
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

I am curious! If you can buy Avon products on ebay for almost half the price, then how on earth does the representative make any money?????
Please use plain text.
salez4u
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

If avon does not want product sold on Ebay, then they can sign up for the vero Program. They will need to hire someone to search Ebay for auctions and then request Ebay pull/shut down the auctions

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SearchHelp

Photobucket God works even better than duct tape
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

I'm just curious why the OP would post on this board????? I didn't know that Avon was in the decorative/holiday category now??!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

I know that I am getting on the chat late. But if AVON can sell to jobbers and then items are sold at stores like BIG LOTS (I saw "collectable only from AVON" there really cheap, then how can they get upset if someone sells on ebay. Somebody had to buy it from them and they made their money.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

When I used to sell PartyLite Candles I ran into the same problem.
There were sales representatives that would list items on eBay before they were even available to all of us to sell.
I listed a couple of items on eBay because I did not need so many items to take to shows all of the time.
PartyLite sent me a registered "Cease and Decist" letter and stated they would sue me if they ever saw that I listed another PartyLite item while selling for them.
They had someone checking on the listings and comparing our email addresses.
I quit selling PartyLite because I was not buying items from them at cost and selling them for a profit like others.
They did not let you explain.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

i use to sell some avon products, left over when I bought a lot from Avon. Its sad to know that Avon do not want us to sell on Ebay. I feel that its up for the sales representative to find a way to sell.

And selling/buying online is the easiest way to go.
I hope they reconsider that decision.

And true: Avon has some holiday decors as well.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Selling Avon on eBay

It seems to me that the biggest threat to AVON reps is AVON themselves. I'm an erep and have been for almost a year now and most of the people that come to my website are redirected to the Avon site no matter if I have it set up with a code or not. Now AVON is giving out what I call premission to reps to open their own retail stores. I will be the first to admit I come to ebay to buy my supplies cause it's definately cheaper here than buying from AVON on the purchase orders. Honestly, I don't see any harm in selling on ebay as long as AVON is getting their money and the rep is getting his/hers. Let's get with the times. The only thing AVON is upset about is that they are loosing their 7.50 a campagin each rep pays to have a website through them. So who is cheating who there? I say AVON need to get a grip.
Please use plain text.