cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange makers stamp on sterling silver bracelets

I’ve recently acquired two sterling silver bracelets with rather strange makers stamps on the inner surface. I believe the text that wraps around the parrot/eagle head potentially reads as ‘hecho en Mexico’, but I’ve never seen this makers stamp before. Any help appreciated!

8FB70108-CDDB-4D6D-934E-775B9C12A77A.jpeg

36039854-14C3-4E9B-AD65-CDEB17EC9C8F.jpeg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Looks like Taxco stamps.  Heche en Mexico - Made in Mexico.  I can't tell from the pic if there is a number denoting the maker, but these are pretty common marks for older sterling produced in Mexico.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Looks like Taxco stamps.  Heche en Mexico - Made in Mexico.  I can't tell from the pic if there is a number denoting the maker, but these are pretty common marks for older sterling produced in Mexico.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I think your bangles were made after 1980 and probably aren't from Taxco. They are beautiful and look well made, but there's nothing at all in the mark that indicates Taxco as origin, or that the mark is older. The design and sharp lettering and use of "925" in the mark, appear contemporary compared to early Mexican silver marks.

From 1948 until 1980, the official assay mark was a "spread eagle" - with head turned to one side and wings spread. At the center of the mark was a number that identified the maker. The eagle head at the center of "Hecho en Mexico" of the photographed mark, is not an official assay mark. I don't think it could identify the maker either. It looks more like a generic eagle's head symbol that's used iconically to represent products made in Mexico.

By 1980, the spread eagle was replaced by a letter/number marking system. The letters generally identified the city of origin and an initial of the maker's name. This system may still be in use, but over the past few decades, sterling silver jewelry from Mexico is commonly marked with the basic required information - origin and fineness, i.e., "Hecho en Mexico 925" - like the marks on the bangles.

Beautiful handmade sterling silver bangles from Mexico are very popular whether from Taxco or another city.  Best of luck with yours!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Many thanks for this very informative reply!

Unfortunately I've just tested the metal on these and they don't test positive for silver, so I'm very dissapointed! It seems I've managed to unearth some more falsely hallmarked Mexican silver.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Oh, I'm so sorry. I was going to mention to be sure to test the metal, but after my long winded rejply, I actually forgot. I'm glad you had the good judgement to do this. Disappointing, I know from experience, but you've done well by not accepting the 925 stamps at face value! 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply