cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with snake pin

It is some type of hard glossy plastic.It is not bakelite and I am pretty sure it is not celluloid.It's not real heavy,but not too light weight either. I am guessing 50's era? It measures 3.5" from tail to nose end x 1-3/4" high.There are no markings.

I am not very experienced with jewelry.I have done pretty well with pieces that were marked,but I am left with two shoe boxes filled with mostly unmarked jewelry pieces and many I cannot find anything similar with research.This is the first piece of many that I hope no one minds me posting for any help possible. Please let me know if any additional pics are needed.Thanks so much!

Large ebay lot Feb 16-2015 047.JPG

Large ebay lot Feb 16-2015 049.JPG

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Help with snake pin

Hi, just wondering if you did the Semicrome test? The plastic was poured in a form-mold ,so it is vintage but very hard to tell the time frame. I dont think those types of pin backs were used in the Deco period. And the pin back could have been added later, just dont know. Very nice for you the stones are still bright.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Help with snake pin

Thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it! Smiley Happy

I did test it. I'm usually 99% correct with knowing if something is Bakelite,but this pin had me getting my tube of simichrome out. It feels and sounds like bakelite,but tested negative.Not even a slight change in color.No other tests gave a positive either. But I thought of something last night that I haven't come across in a long time with a bakelite piece.I'm pretty sure it is covered with a clear coating of something. There is no place to get through the coating to do a pin test that it would not leave a mark on it.The coating is throughout the entire pin without even a scratch on it.

I think I am going to do a bit more research on testing coated bakelite to see if I can find a way to see if that could be the mystery with this pin. Thanks again!

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 3 of 3
latest reply