cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As our CEO Devin Wenig announced at ShopTalk earlier today, we’re launching an all-new selling feature this summer that gives sellers in the US more control over your delivery timing and the ability to guaranteed delivery dates on your items.

It’s called eBay Guaranteed Delivery, and it supports our ongoing commitment to provide you with the best-in-class tools you need to turn more of your shoppers into buyers—and increase your sales velocity.      

With Guaranteed Delivery, you’ll be able to guarantee a delivery date for your items, and buyers will be able to filter their search results based on the guaranteed delivery date they need. Guaranteed Delivery will also utilize two tools we recently announced in our 2017 Spring Seller Update: location-specific shipping rate tables that let you provide buyers with more accurate shipping charges, and a calendar tool that lets you customize the days you work and your cut-off time for same-day shipping.

To learn more about Guaranteed Delivery—and sign up for updates about this exciting new selling feature—please visit our dedicated web page. As always, thank you for selling on eBay

335 Comments

As our CEO Devin Wenig announced at ShopTalk earlier today, we’re launching an all-new selling feature this summer that gives sellers in the US more control over your delivery timing and the ability to guaranteed delivery dates on your items.

It’s called eBay Guaranteed Delivery, and it supports our ongoing commitment to provide you with the best-in-class tools you need to turn more of your shoppers into buyers—and increase your sales velocity.      

With Guaranteed Delivery, you’ll be able to guarantee a delivery date for your items, and buyers will be able to filter their search results based on the guaranteed delivery date they need. Guaranteed Delivery will also utilize two tools we recently announced in our 2017 Spring Seller Update: location-specific shipping rate tables that let you provide buyers with more accurate shipping charges, and a calendar tool that lets you customize the days you work and your cut-off time for same-day shipping.

To learn more about Guaranteed Delivery—and sign up for updates about this exciting new selling feature—please visit our dedicated web page.

If you have questions or feedback on this topic, you can share them on this discussion board thread. In addition, you can also join eBay Staff for a Community chat at 1pm PT on Wednesday 3/22.  

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

How can you guarantee the USPS will delivery in our specified delivery time? There is no guarantee with a third party doing the actual delivery.

Sounds like one more hoop us low volume homebased sellers will need to jump through.

Does UPS, FEDEX and the USPS know ebay is making claims that they may not be able to delivery upon?  More importantly do the contactors for these companies know of the upcoming claims? 

Great (sarcasm) another requirement sellers have no control over,  and I will bet when USPS etc. does not deliver "on time" the buyer will be refunded on the sellers dime

Don't think it's that big of a deal.  We can already see when the estimated delivery based on previous orders is.  Now buyers will be able to search only listings that are likely to be delivered on time.  During weather delayed shipping times, all buyers should be getting notes saying the guarantee is not valid or whatever...  Should work just fine.  It's basically just for buyers to search.  Some buyers dont care if you ship slowly.

Goodballcards, what planet do you live on?

Yeah...I can guarantee I'll do my part, but what about when USPS doesn't pick up your mail which I had happen to me twice in the past year, or when they misroute the package. Does that become MY fault?

Even mega-shippers like Amazon frequently can't deliver "on time" because the third-party shippers fail.

To me, this seems like a great way to increase customer disappointment, and all too likely yet-another reason for customers to push "not-my-fault" returns/refunds onto the seller.

There are so many ways Ebay could enhance everyone's satisfaction/success, why go with one likely to add disappointment? Coming on the heels of a simultaneous 50% cut in TRS discounts AND higher-hurdles to even get that, it does not impress.

Is Ebay really listening to its "Sellers" . . . ?

This is just another way for ebay to ding sellers in the ever loved seller ratings.

HOW CAN EBAY Guaranteed Delivery.. ON BEHALF OF THE CARRIER??? ... VALIDATED WITH TRACKING NUMBER BY THE SELLER???  .... WELL, THANK YOU E-BAY, PLS STAND BY YOUR STATEMENT INCLUDING 1ST CLASS SHIP!

I find it interesting how eBay states that I shipped an item late despite the buyers positive feedback stating how fast I shipped it. This happens repetedly.

doug@ebay

Did you accidnetally unlock this thread? Why did you "move" this announcement? Isn't it on the right board?

Guaranteed Delivery  Dates are  not possible.  The Post Office could care less what ebay tells their customers.  Sellers are going to pay for this decisions

doug@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@*coins, we had the blog post with closed comments, and a discussion board we opened for guaranteed delivery on the Announcements board, and both displaying on the Home feed. I moved the discussion to Announcements.

@seller_news_team wrote:

To learn more about Guaranteed Delivery—and sign up for updates about this exciting new selling feature—please visit our dedicated web page. As always, thank you for selling on eBay

West world this is well performing speaking of shipping and delivery.
FROM THE OTHER HAND ... ASIA ... THIS IS UNCONTROLLED JUNGLE.
Sellers (logistics brands own five or more shops) print their labels, insert fake digitally produced tracking and tracking activity too. Fake tracking includes flight routes in which airplanes are not ASIAN cargo ones but regular for passengers.
Ebay Listing informs of 18 Days – low priority airmail and the goods .. IF EVER ARRIVE they delivered after 35 days up to unknown.
EBAY and Paypal accepts to log such unconfirmed (digitally created and controlled) tracking numbers, and when goods never arrive, Ebay – Paypal resolution center this wastes further more valuable time of the customer who lost all ready six weeks .
This is not a LOVELY SHOPPING EXPERIENCE this is TORTURE OF EUROPEAN AND AMERICAN buyers.

Liars have more opportunity to get free items. That`s great.

This is another program launched without any input from sellers. It is just becoming too difficult to sell on ebay. What a shame.

@seller_news_team wrote:

This is CRAZY!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

As our CEO Devin Wenig announced the ship is sinking! They can't come up with better ideas then this!

eBay Guaranteed Delivery is not necessary.

@tkinnebrew.Scout wrote: Don't think it's that big of a deal.  We can already see when the estimated delivery based on previous orders is.  Now buyers will be able to search only listings that are likely to be delivered on time.  During weather delayed shipping times, all buyers should be getting notes saying the guarantee is not valid or whatever...  Should work just fine.  It's basically just for buyers to search.  Some buyers dont care if you ship slowly.

Of all the thousands and thousands of issues posted on The Community I am not sure if there are any that are complaints by Buyers that they need(ed) a guaranteed delivery ... if there are any they are few and far between.  And if all issues here represent 2% or less of issues with eBay transactions (Trust & Safety Depart) then Guaranteed delivery issues (if there are any) are an even smaller %.   I believe Buyers who for some reason or another need a guaranteed delivery communicate with the Seller they are considering to work out that particular detail.  I think at the end of the day this is more about being able to say, "Yes, eBay offers Guaranteed dilvery too."  when being compared to Amazon and any other e-Commerce sites offering it.

This is NOT a good idea.  Ebay already has guaranteed delivery.....via the claim resolution page. Why would you possibly give dishonest buyers the option to claim they got their item one day late and then request a refund or discount?? This will only crowd smaller sellers out of the market who cannot afford to take the margin hits when people commit online shoplifting.  I ALREADY guarantee a delivery date via the fast and free program......why would you put this card down on the table? 

I can't imagine that there will be much of a change if you already offer same day service and take the trek to the Post yourself and it's close to you. It also takes care of the postal scammers, they're awful and as a buyer, drive me nuts.

This is awful, though, for sellers who can't commit to same day or live in rural areas. Seems to be another tier to add on top of Top Rated Plus and the reality of the ecommerce competition being created by Amazon and Walmart.  Amazon is giving same day delivery now and consumers are becoming a lot more demanding. The larger companies such as Target that have anchor clearout stores will have no trouble automating these demands and will obviously top search.

It's apparent that if we aren't niche sellers and have the location and means, we'll have to put up and shut up to survive.

From what I'm reading there are many many sellers asking themselves..why am I still selling on ebay? When is enough enough? It use to be fun to sell on ebay..but seems like everyday another rule, regulation or fee increase.  The funny part is, ebay always describes it like it's a gotta have, wonderful thing, no matter what it is thats being changed. I wonder who over there sits around and thinks up stuff to make us miserable?

@seller_news_team wrote:

@seller_news_team wrote:

s miserable? Good job Ebay... NOT!!!

If Ebay guarantees delivery and the buyer does not receive it when they are supposed to, is Ebay going to pay for item out of their pocket?

eBay is already giving buyers unreasonable expected delivery dates, now they are moving to "guaranteed delivery dates?"

I delivered a First Class package from Miami to Vegas in 4 days, and the customer said it didn't arrive by the expected delivery date. 4 days for First Class is actually on the faster side for USPS FC shipping. WHAT DATE IS EBAY PROVIDING FOR THEM? Is eBay aware of the varying delivery times for different distances?

This ridiculous "guaranteed delivery" feature, coupled with the super-secret listing "algorithm" (that nobody seems to be able to explain) sounds like a recipe for disaster. If I do not participate in this "guaranteed delivery" program, will I fall further in searchability?

This is the worst idea I have ever read. It is impossible to guarantee ANYTHING. This sounds like a negative feedback machine. Please, do not do this to your loyal sellers.

@seller_news_team  Today is Friday March 31 - mid morning EST and the My eBay page is having fits trying to load.  My understanding from past threads is that Thursday is the day each week eBay runs system updates.  So now the page will not load without shutting down and restarting, have done the usual "clear the baffles" for the browser.   This is happening on more than one computer so it is an eGlitch not an issue with our systems.   SOOooo, another reason anyone opting in to Guaranteed delivery could hurt themselves by not being able to get pacakges shipped on time because of a system problem outside of their system. 

Here's the badge that goes with this:

badge oops super glitch.jpg

I live in a rural area and can't even say that I can ship on snow days in the winter, with he road impassable. Good luck on this one.

There is NO WAY to Gaurantee a delivery day. I spent $26 on a Priority Express Overnight package, and it took 5 DAYS to arrive! It had a gauranteed next day delivery, or I got a refund. It took many calls and trips to the post office, and calls to Ebay before I could get that refund. Ebay said it was the P.O responsibility, P.O. said it was Ebays responsibility. I will never use that service again.

Don't blame an ebay seller for the problems that arise within the Post Office Shipping, FedEx, UPS, etc.  When your building a house you don't blame the Electrician when the Plumber did something wrong. Who's fault is it when your computer is down for 8 hours City Wide and you have to print 40 Shipping Labels?  I don't think that there were many ebay Sellers asking for *Guarantee Delivery* and my own customers never asked for it in 18 years.

Ebay seems to have forgotton that we as Ebay Sellers are THEIR CUSTOMERS/ CLIENTS.  No SELLER EVER asked for MORE added terms and conditions to delivery....This is a PERFECT example of a CEO who sits in an ivory tower and dreams up IDEAS that he thinks sound good, but in reality have a poor practical application.  As it stands now, the seller has to print labels and deliver packages into the hands of carriers (and make sure they are scanned) After that... it is OUT OF A SELLER's CONTROL.... PERIOD.  Plain and simple.  Yet we are held responsibile for a guaranteed delivery date????  While it is in the hands of a third party?  Ridiculous.  Adding MORE restrictions, while providing sellers less value is even going to drive more sellers (Ebay's paying clients)  AWAY to other selling platforms.    Listen up EBAY CEO to YOUR CUSTOMERS-- The Sellers.

@kindergartenteacher1  wrote: Ebay seems to have forgotton that we as Ebay Sellers are THEIR CUSTOMERS/ CLIENTS

I view Sellers and eBay as Business Partners, not customers/clients.  So when one of the "Parnters" comes up with an idea that is not good the other Partners are well within their right to point it out.  And for some who think this is an ALL in change it is not.  This will be an Opt In choice by all sellers and I suspect the % of Sellers who Opt in will be very low.  There have been many, many excellent posts with common sense reasons not pursue this and most of them boil down to one very, very key point ... trying to guarantee something you can not control is a bad business decision .... period.

I understand the intention here… However, this is a ridiculously flawed plan. I generally do not participate in posts here but this is just irresponsible. The USPS is very unreliable with their delivery times, and in the Oregon area UPS is a joke. Buyers will quickly learn how to work this system against the sellers then what? My guess it will cost the seller, the seller pays regardless of fault the vast majority of the time. Either financially or in ratings, feedback etc… which converts to lost sales. I do not understand why eBay keeps making it impossible for sellers to be successful. Clearly eBay you understand that without sellers you will NOT have BUYERS…???

I think as sellers we have been beaten up enough this year with the "upgrades" that have cost most of us a great deal in lost sales. How about we just go back to you all leaving stuff alone for awhile and we can sell stuff… you know the actual point of eBay. Sellers make money as a result eBay makes money.

I understand that this is an absolutely pointless rant that other sellers will totally agree with but eBay will absolutely ignore…. but at least I participated in the "community" discussion this time.

In reality, there is no such thing as "Seller Protection".

People complain too much.  For those who don't like ebay policy, there is a simple solution.  

and I'm sure there will be some additional fees for this service also.  Never understood how Ebay gets away with charging a final value fee on shipping!

Hey fellow sellers, im not one to usually participate in these forums, but iv had about enough of ebays **bleep** too. Lets stop complaining, lets take action! You think ebay would be here with out us? No. This is to all of you, stop selling for 1 week every month.. trust me, i know its hard to do, i count on the little money i make here too. Just think of the revenue they would be losing. We sit here and let them do this to us. Wanna make a change, this is the only way to get it done! Lets organize this and show them who makes them or breaks them. You will just be the complainer unless you stand up for what your complaining about. Best to all of you!

Hate to say it, but in the real world you CANNOT guarantee delivery!  I just shipped a package by Priority Mail from NJ to three hours away in PA.  On March 21, it received a departure scan from my post office and then went missing for over a week with no scans on it.  In that meantime, the buyer opened a "not received" inquiry that came up as a "dispute on my account".  I asked her to please wait a few more days and it showed up a week later.  The only two scans on it were leaving my post office and arriving at hers and then at her home.

It' s setting up sellers for failure unless we're going to only offer Express or overnight.  Even the post office won't guarantee delivery anywhere anymore. 

I absolutely love that buyers will be able to filter their search results based on delivery dates. This will make shopping on eBay faster, easier and much more enjoyable.

To EBAY: If we (the sellers)  gave you the responsibility to PACK and SHIP our items that we sell, then you have the right to call the shots at your expense and would you penalize or fire your employees that would fail to meet the *Guaranteed Delivery Date* because of the SHIPPING CARRIER?

Bring this to your Round Table at your NEXT EBAY COMPANY MEETING and let your employees speak. 

Sometimes change is good but this *Guaranteed Delivery Date* doesn't make any (CENTS) sense.  

How about removing bad feedback for items that are late or lost. USPS can't deliver on time and the buyer thinks it's the sellers fault. 99.9% of my selling problems are the Post Office.

Ebay executives sit around a table all day coming up with ridiculous ways to stick it to the sellers, and to what end? How about holding the carriers, FedEx and USPS responsible for mismanagement of packages.  Their motto is if you can't throw it, then kick it.  

I cannot guarantee when USPS, UPS, or FedEx will deliver my packages.  The only control I have is when the package leaves my hands.  Even pick up times can vary by 5 hours at my location.  USPS used to have expected delivery dates on receipts when I took packages to the post office.  The receipt I received yesterday has no expected delivery date on it.  

Same trap again: tell the buyers, always the seller's fault, not eBay, not the carrier neither. Think about what eBay should do for sellers, please! Or more and more sellers will fade out from eBay

Ebay, please read the feedback comments from sellers. In the Q & A you claim sellers are asking for this complicated time consuming set up, I have not found one seller supporting this.  Sellers can control handling time. Shipping charges are based on USPS rates, destination,  and shipping class chosen by the buyer. Transit time is determined by carriers and buyers choice of shipping class. If the tables are set up to determine handling times due to work / personal life schedules, that makes more sense,  not gauranteed delivery times.

@antdis1033 wrote: " ... This is to all of you, stop selling for 1 week every month. ...  "

While I understand the reasoning and it might have some impact but ONLY if EVERY Seller did  it.  So, unless there is a Seller's Union and the Union Bosses dictate this action ( a sales strike for lack of a better term) there would not be enough voluntary participation.  Additionally, many Sellers would see it as a week of less competition and a chance to sell more than usual.

Guaranteed Payment for sellers would be great!!

Pretty convenient that eBay is offering a new selling feature and yet eBay doesn't even sell anything.  Think about that - eBay is pushing a guaranteed delivery selling feature and has zero clue about the actual selling process.  Go eBay!