cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painting on Playing Cards

Just received a lovely acrylic from Peggy Conyers on a recycled playing card. It's a winter scene done in acrylics, and it reminds me of a small Walter Baum I have in the bedroom. Now to my question: it seems like it would be fun to paint on a playing card. I don't like using acrylics, I'm an oil guy, so what do you think? I thought of maybe roughing up the surface of the card with a light sand, then two or three coats of acrylic gesso. Any thoughts? Thom
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Wayyyy back, before Dares, a long time ago and in a land far, far away, thatz what I read...that people do that very same thing to playing cards Thom, before they create on them. I'm not sure where the thread is, but it's in this room somewhere!! Good luck, Cherie
♥Cherie♥
Google me: Cherie's Art
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks Cherie; I'll do a search. T
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Previous discussions should show up in a search. Playing cards can be purchased blank. Regular playing cards usually have a plastic-like coating - so you should sandpaper, and coat with gesso - sanding that, also if you wish. I have received several ACEOs done quite obviously on playing cards. One was beautiful - a scene with light colors used - I wondered what the red was showing through - a flake of paint had come off, showing what was part of a 'heart' underneath. The card is beautiful, but the red spoils it. I do not know if the painter prepped the card or not. ~Jillian
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

kristinelasalle
Enthusiast
I just recently started trying the same thing... seem to have good luck with acrylics (so far) but not so great with oils. Maybe I didn't rough it up enough? ....still trying myself. If you find a good answer to it, I'd love to know! ~Kristine
Message 5 of 5
latest reply