cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Art DVD's Totally Hooked.Who do u like?

madame.b.wishful
Enthusiast
I'm completely a self taught artist. Not by choice 🙂 Anyhow I joined the Colorado Plein Air group where artist meet at a location and paint outdoors (landscapes) from life. Good Grief! Quite intimidating because... I'm new to oils, never have done much with landscapes and normally I use reference photos... It was only until recently that I started painting from life. I was a nervous wreck out there! So I ended up buying some art DVD's from artist I admire like Richard Schmid, Quang Ho ect. What a life saver! I finally feel like I at least know how to begin. Have any of you become DVD / book junkies? and which artists book/ dvd did you enjoy most? Laura
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I've never purchased an instructional DVD. A lot of them are very expensive, and I know that I probably wouldn't have the attention span (or the time) to sit down and watch all the way through. I am, however, a major book junkie. I buy books and books and books. I couldn't even name a favorite. I just keep buying them. I like having quick reference materials handy, color mixing charts, and so on. Some of my favorites are books on acrylics, that show some of the really unique abstract looks you can create with that medium. No matter how hard I try, I can't learn watercolours from a book, or even from live instruction. That's a trial and error thing for me. Sometimes self-taught can be a good thing. You're learning your own techniques, and not some teacher's idea of what you should be doing. My experiences with classes have not been good, so self-taught works for me. -- Kathy

Kathy
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

madame.b.wishful
Enthusiast
I understand about some classes not being good. I did take a class at the community college. I saw the instructors work and it was good but he did say something interesting and think it was problem area in his teaching. His style was realism. It was very controlled. He used reference photos and did not paint from life. He said one time while talking to me that years ago he could make a painting look like a photo but it dawned on him one day that he could not make a brush stroke. I understand that. It was why I was in his class. I love that painterly style. I love impressionism and the idea that less is more. Being self taught I got into a habit of drawing out my design and then carefully coloring it in with paint. Its tight and controlled. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I didn't know how to achieve certain results or how to have a loose painting that is realism yet yet has feelings of impressionism. The idea of painting without using a pencil first to sketch something in is intimidating yet freeing and kind of exciting. Anyhow the class at the community college was uninspiring. I learned a couple of things but really not much. He gave no demonstrations. Did not go into value??? How he managaed that is beyond me. It was just a paint together really with an assignment of what to paint. We learned nothing of underpainting ect. I have found books and DVD's the place that gave me the basics and general rules. Laura
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I adore Schmidt's work. I'm self taught, but drew from childhood, so was never intimidated. I'm not one for 'rules'. I was told never to use a ruler, never use white paint. That scenes get darker the further away they are (not the case for an ocean - which is darker). -- ~Jillian artist, Jillian Crider ... google me!
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

madame.b.wishful
Enthusiast
I think to some degree you can learn as much when your self taught through trial and error..... but the nice thing about instruction from another artist, book or DVD is that you can get "there" quicker. Also...sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious. An artist can have painting after painting not work and never figure out why. And rules can be incredibly beneficial to know or be aware of even when it's not mandatory for the painting. The word "rule" isn't probably the best choice perhaps saying "as a general rule of thumb." For example Generally not always... the distance between one eye and the other is another eye. That's very useful info to a portrait artist. Saves time and frustration and that knowledge soon becomes second nature. The basic guide for body proportion is in head lengths: The figure of an average adult is 7 head lengths The length of body, hips to toes is about 4 head lengths The top of head to bottom of chest 2 head lengths The length of pelvis to bottom butt region 1 head length Two heads from elbow to end of extended fingertips. Landscapes also have general rules of thumb. A tree closer up will be larger than a tree further away. Sounds obvious but you see those mistakes in paintings all the time. Or you see the lack of knowledge in Value, composition , light direction and on and on and on. I think my art is alright. I have sold pieces ect and have gotten jobs but I know there is plenty of room for growth and help out there. For some odd reason it took this long for me to buy a book! :) Laura -- Edited by laurajursnick at 12/14/2009 1:13 PM PST -- Edited by laurajursnick at 12/14/2009 1:14 PM PST
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

madame.b.wishful
Enthusiast
Oops forgot to add that... that general rules of thumb are just that generally .... but not always. Just a guide to go by .... but so helpful to be aware of and that knowledge can take your art to a different level. :) Laura -- Edited by laurajursnick at 12/14/2009 1:31 PM PST
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I forget to measure, and it throws me off, as some people just aren't these measurements. The biggest things are knowing negative shapes. If you know your negatives shape, they will show you where you're off quicker than any measuring. I am lazy. I can't be bothered with the dynamics, even though I drew over 9,000 houses, I never checked perspective, and even know how to 'cheat' for a better picture. If you draw a lot of things to perspective, it doesn't work. A house on top of a hill, for instance, if you draw it to perspective, it looks like it's falling off the hill. There is a very good DVD I saw some of. I've forgotten her name for now. Watercolors NZ artist - she does floral calendars - tichbourne (nancy?) or something like that. That is one I would recommend to you. -- ~Jillian artist, Jillian Crider ... google me!
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

madame.b.wishful
Enthusiast
My guess is you don't measure or have a desire to learn guidelines is because it has become second nature to you from having painted portraits or landscapes ect over a period of time. People will learn and it will become second nature without it being consciously done. I was just talking to an artist about this at a paint out. She's an art teacher. I told her how I can easily draw/pastels portraits but don't have the same confidence with landcapes. Same with media. Feel more comfortable with acrylics vs. oils. She said that's because you know the "rules" of portraits and it has become second nature. I don't measure when I do a portrait... it's now second nature and I know generally where an ear begins and ends.... or where the line of the mouth corresponds with the iris of the eye.. BUT if its an unfamiliar subject that you dont paint... rules help. Thanks for the dvd suggestion Jillian Laura
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Yes, it's second nature. I don't know my limits. I paint all things, all mediums because I don't know any better. Anything from murals to teensy miniatures. Pen, pastels, paints, etchings - doesn't matter what. But rules I was told I found out that it was rubbish. I was even told not to use an eraser. -- ~Jillian artist, Jillian Crider ... google me!
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Nancy's work (think that is her name) is awe inspiring... -- ~Jillian artist, Jillian Crider ... google me!
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

madame.b.wishful
Enthusiast
I think art instructors should clarify the difference between general rules of thumb... which are immensely helpful like general measurements ect. and tips and tricks that work.... like squinting to see the value and... their own artist preference... like dont use an eraser, never use black or white paint, only paint from life ect ect. Laura
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Some of them were taught these 'rules' and truly believe them. Squinting I've always done. I also sat in on many a lecture by a guest artist at societies and listened to them saying that as long as you altered at least 10% of anyone else's photo or painting, then you could pass it off as your own (WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!) -- ~Jillian artist, Jillian Crider ... google me!
~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 12 of 12
latest reply