cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Strategy on ebay: 1.00 AUCTION

Ebay Strategy

I thought I would take a minute to address something that has cropped up over and over at the ACEO group: 
STARTING PRICES on ACEOS.  Disclaimer: These are my own thoughts and my strategy when selling - I don't expect anyone to adopt
this strategy or to agree with how I conduct my auctions.

First of all - Art is my therapy.  I would be insane if I didn't paint.  Above all else art has been one of the greatest gifts
life has given to me and I seek to honor that gift by trying my hardest to do my best work on everything I endeavour.  Sometimes my
art ends up in the trash - but that doesn't mean it didn't have value.  That piece that I don't really like taught me
something.  Every botched piece of art is a lesson.

Second - The lack of rules when creating ACEOs and selling them allows me to be free to try new strategies and ideas.

Ok...here's where my ebay strategy comes into play:

I DO list ACEOs starting at a dollar. 
Those 1.00 auctions often bring new bidders into the playing field.  They also KEEP clients that I have had for years LOOKING at
and WATCHING my art.  YES...I have sold ACEOs for just a BUCK!  Call me foolish, but it is part of my strategy and
it has worked for me. When those clients receive their 1.00 ACEO and see the work that has gone into it, they COME BACK. 
They WATCH and they bid and they REMEMBER that beautiful little piece of art that they got for a DOLLAR. They are watching
because they are hoping they can do it again.  If an ACEO strikes their fancy after that, they are confident that if they have
to spend more they will be happy with their purchase.

I start some (not all) auctions at a dollar.  If I don't get a bid within a couple of days I RAISE THE PRICE.  Maybe I raise it
just a couple of bucks - maybe 5.00.  I can keep raising the price of my ACEO until it gets a bid, or until the
end of the auction.  Here's what raising the starting price does for me after the auction has begun:

Bidders that like my work and watch it begin to see a pattern. They will see that the price has gone from 1.00 to 5.00 and then up to 10.00.
Sometimes (this is something I need to do more regularly and I would advise doing with your own clients if you try this strategy),
I clearly state in the auction that the price of the ACEO may go up if the art doesn't get a bid within the first couple of days.
 "NOTE:  I will be listing some paintings with a low starting price.  If it doesn't get a bid within the first
couple of days I may RAISE the price.  BID NOW if you want to get in on a lower starting price! Make sure to WATCH my art - you MIGHT
get a BARGAIN!"

I realize that as artists we need to value our work.  The value that I attach to my own art really has very little to do with money.
Don't get me wrong - I'm as happy as a clam when I sell a piece for a good price, but I would be creating that art whether I sell it
or not. 

If you try this selling strategy - please let me know if it works for you!

BoneD
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Hi Lisa,  that sounds really interesting.  I never thought to raise the price as the auction progresses.  If someon is already watching and hasn't bid yet it could entice them to bid sooner.  Maybe with the next go round I'll try it.  I'm like you -- I am filled with joy whenever anything sells because someone else likes my art enough to want it.  And I too would be sad if I couldn't do art any more.

Sherry

Sherry, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for sharing this Lisa......food for thought and it never hurts to experiment with different ideas to get things going!

.•:*¨¨*:•Leola•:*¨¨*:•.

my blog
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thank you bonediva for weighing in on this one.  I was feeling pressure to raise my list price, and now I don't and won't.  I agree with your strategy. 

BTW I am trying to get the information from The Chatter interview with you (March 2006) put on Wikipedia as they don't currently have the whole story there.  I have contacted the chatter staff about it.  I believe the people involved should get the credit for what they have done.  Perhaps since you are the person who started the eBay movement you could tell your story on Wikipedia.  I would do it, but I don't have all the facts.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

blackwolfpaw
Enthusiast

Dear All,

As far as I am concerned, there is only one rule for me, "Don't be your OWN biggest collector."

I have too many pieces of art in my house. Do I want to look like a hoarder?

Then my husband Morgan peeps over my shoulder at what I am selling for $1.00 and says, "Don't sell your life so cheap."

I say, it's mine to sell.

Cheers,

Penny Wolfe

PAW
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I like the idea! when I start listing auctions I will try it. Right now I am fixed pricing everything just to take advantage of the free listing that I am getting.

BTW I am an old member. Haven't sold aceos in awhile. Glad to be here again. My art name is Mary Hillier incase some of you know me from before.

Mary

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thank you so much!  I'm new, to selling my artwork.  And haven't had much success, doing so.  I think my originals, were to high priced, & I'm seeing that now.  I'm wondering if there is much success, at reposting a listing.  Would love some feedback on that.  Oh...& will be listing much lower!

Great info!  Thank you!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I do love this idea, Lisa!  Thank you so much for sharing your ideas.

Rebecca

NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

Be a patron of the arts: Art and science keep us civil!
http://www.smellyrhino.com
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

ok, this is funny. Whenever I read a post in here, I wanna click "Like". HA HA HA

NEVER EVER GIVE UP!

Be a patron of the arts: Art and science keep us civil!
http://www.smellyrhino.com
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Bondiva:

Occasionally the selling strategy  you have outlined of raising the price works for me.  Lately I have been doing the opposite.  Starting an auction at the price I would like to sell it for - if no bid but watchers I feel confident I can sell it at a lower price. Sometimes a buyer will pay the full cost I ask for on the first round.  Anyway,  I keep lowering the price which is being noticed by watchers who are interested but don't want to bid much.  Sometimes I get all the way to rock bottom and then the very last hour of the auction I get a bid - then another and so on.  The key is to know there are watchers waiting  for the price to decrease.   This is a common way of selling - to keep lowering and it sometimes works.   If I have no watchers on an item and it has been relisted many times I usually remove the listing entirely and chalk it up a s not-very-well-done piece.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply