cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Reducing unpaid items

Today we announced one of the ways we are reducing unpaid item cases. Buyers will automatically be charged when sellers accept their Best Offer. You can read more about that here. Feel free to review and leave any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone! These threads are closed from further replies. If there are outstanding questions that we are waiting for additional information with, we will update the thread with the response we receive and tag you to make sure you get the notification.

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 105 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Why not just roll this out to all buyers?  What's with the hesitancy?  eBay is literally the only e-commerce platform that allows buyers to hold my inventory hostage for 4 FULL DAYS with no intention of paying.  I don't offer a layaway plan.  It's a waste of my time, it's annoying, and it's demoralizing.  Buyers can either buy it or not.  That's how it works anywhere else.  I don't get to walk into Walmart, hide an item I want to buy in a few days, then come back on payday and pay for it.  

Quit dragging your feet and just roll this feature out universally, as you should have years ago.  Good grief.  

Message 2 of 105
latest reply

This is just going to increase the number of buyers who demand to cancel immediately after paying. Any chance we can get something done about that? Can it at least stop costing me listings?

Message 3 of 105
latest reply

Will this change result in more 30 cent fees and make it even more difficult to consolidate multiple orders from the same buyer? Some competing sites automatically consolidate orders from the same buyer within a defined period of time like 24 hours.

Message 4 of 105
latest reply

@squaredealminis wrote:

This is just going to increase the number of buyers who demand to cancel immediately after paying. Any chance we can get something done about that? Can it at least stop costing me listings?

Not sure why that would happen. The buyer will know that they are "committing" to purchase the item(s) by providing the payment option before they are allowed to make the "offer".

At this time you can go to "buyer requirements" to opt out of the buyer pre-pay on "offers".

Message 5 of 105
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Will this change result in more 30 cent fees and make it even more difficult to consolidate multiple orders from the same buyer? Some competing sites automatically consolidate orders from the same buyer within a defined period of time like 24 hours.

At this time you can go to "buyer requirements" to opt out of the buyer pre-pay on "offers".

Message 6 of 105
latest reply

wouldnt forcing them to pay just create more actual returns?  Buyer makes offer, doesnt pay, ebay forces them and then theyll just return it when it is recieved?

Message 7 of 105
latest reply

Makes sense. You commit to buy. You pay. Amazon doesn't let you wait to pay unless you are filling up a shopping cart.

Message 8 of 105
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Hi @clarkphilatelics - it's possible that you may have buyers that make multiple Best Offers which, if accepted, would charge as multiple transactions (just as they could now if they use 'Buy it Now' instead of adding to cart). 

This change should not impact your ability to combine multiple purchases into a single shipment if you use eBay Labels. 

Also, as @buyselljack2016 notes, this is a feature you can manage for your business via the Buyer Requirements section of your preferences screen when it's available for you (link here).

Message 9 of 105
latest reply

What about requiring immediate payment on accounts with no feedback? There are too many accounts being setup with no intention of paying. 

Message 10 of 105
latest reply

Has any thought been given to the fact that this will reduce sales?

We'd rather get paid a few days later than not paid at all.

Message 11 of 105
latest reply

this means nothing. the potentially irresponsible buyer still has the opportunity to return the items for any myriad of reasons that eBay will deem as acceptable. so this policy still does nothing to favor the seller. change your buyer policies. period!

Message 12 of 105
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Makes sense. You commit to buy. You pay. Amazon doesn't let you wait to pay unless you are filling up a shopping cart.

Amazon doesn't allow offers.

Message 13 of 105
latest reply

That's irrelevant.  Whether an offer has been made or not, a commitment to buy has been made, and allowing 4 days to pay is nonsensical.  Also, Mercari and Poshmark allow offers, and the payment method on file is automatically charged upon an accepted offer initiated by the buyer or seller. 

Message 14 of 105
latest reply

I agree with you in principle.  But if a buyer hasn't paid in a day or two, the chances of them paying on day 3 or 4 is very slim.  In the meantime, potential buyers aren't seeing the listing.  

Message 15 of 105
latest reply