cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Secret Santa this year. Thoughts?

I've been thinking of suggesting something different this year. Instead of doing a gift exchange, what does everyone think of giving back to the community? With all the fires in CA and things like school lunch debt, there's plenty of opportunities to help those in need. On reveal day, we could each post about what we did, pictures optional. What do you all think?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Alternative to Secret Santa this year. Thoughts?

If I lived in the USA I would do both in a heartbeat because the Secret Santa is such fun. However, shipping a large box between the USA and Canada is expensive. 

When I participated a few years ago my Secret Santa spent almost $50 in shipping costs alone getting the box to me  because she was pressed for time and sent it Express, and it arrived on Boxing Day I seem to recall. 

I do love to read the SS thread though and the Reveal is always such fun.  Wish I could participate but will bow out of that but will partake in the giving back to the community drive. 

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Clear,   This is a sweet idea.   I have been very involved lately ( on a personal level ) with charitable causes.   The little dive my sweetheart plays pool in every week has benefits on a regular.   I guess as we age,  causes spring up more often.  

Just in the last month we have had 2.  A friend of ours passed away unexpectedly from a heart condition.  Left two very young kids to care for.   Another developed stomach cancer and needed help with the Doctor bills.  We had benefits for both with raffles and donations, etc. 

There are already 2 Christmas donations boxes in this place.  

I also have another benefit,  outside of this to prepare for another childhood friend who lost her husband at age 49 and left 2 teenagers to raise. 

One thing I love to do at Christmas is pick somebody in my world that is not expecting a present from me,  the mailman,  the clerk at Salvation Army,  a teller at my bank, etc.  and get them a gift.   The look on their face is priceless.   I was considering the owner of said establishment above this year for everything she does to give back to the community.  She is amazing and well deserving! 

Anyhow.....I'm a little busy now but will revisit this idea in December.   Somebody remind me,  when does the exchange usually happen?  I have bowed out the last couple of years.  

Mermaid 🐳

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

Gift opening is around December 20th.
Message 18 of 41
latest reply

Maybe make the gift boxes smaller or homemade.

Maybe an ornament exchange or one "special" jewelry item or a "white elephant" just for fun?

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

I'm in whatever you decide!

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

I like the idea of a white elephant exchange.  It might keep postage costs down enough that folks over international borders could join in.  I donate "stuff" all year round regardless and would probably participate in both.  I already had a local person in mind to give to.  She lives on not much and takes care of feral/stray cats.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 21 of 41
latest reply

How would the white elephant gift exchange work and keep mail costs down?  

Would we be shipping and reshipping every time someone " stole " our gift ?  

Or would we ship everything to one person and let them ship all of the presents out at the end?  

I guess Im just confused on how a white elephant exchange would go with everyone not being in the same room.  Haha! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

Instead of buying or packing from a "wish list", the sender could pick an odd or end item, or something weird found in their wanderings.  It wouldn't have to be big or expensive (weird postcards would count!).  We wouldn't be swapping, just sending.  I'm looking at a "who'd want that" as we speak.  Nothing gross allowed, just goofy/weird/totally useless. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 23 of 41
latest reply

I like it! Especially if we keep it small. I'd like it if everyone could participate -- those with no extra funds for postage and our non-US members.

Definitely count me in!

A.

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

I checked online and 1-8 ounces, first class international to Canada is approximately $10.50. Next price jump is to $17.25.

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

Well that price for shipping to Canada doesn't sound too bad.

I must admit I felt very badly when I saw how much my SS spent on postage the last time I did this. She got stuck for time and only mailed it out a day or two before the reveal, as I recall. So sending it Priority Express really cost a lot. It was stuffed full of mugs, coffee, assorted cat treats … heavy and big box.

Very kind of her and it touched me but after that I decided that I could not burden someone here with that kind of pressure and expense again. 

I would be happy to take part in something smaller, for sure would be in on that!

The most fun for me would be sending out jewelry of course, because I love giving jewelry as a gift, but whatever is decided on as long as it is small and simple would be great. 

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

Oh ok,  so more like a gag gift sort of thing.  

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

I vote for "Sender's Choice" for the exchange -- anything from a postcard to a bowling ball!

How about a choice between Santa and White Elephant gifts? Giver's choice, perhaps?

Dana, a year ago August we did the White Elephant exchange and many errr, ummmm interesting things were exchanged. I sent my W.E. recipient a painting I found at I-Will and though I still don't know what the subject was, I had a blast dreaming up clues to post on the thread. Others also enjoyed posting tantalizing clues for their recipients too. I must say I won't be sending a painting of that size again because not only was it difficult to create a box for mailing, the postage was deadly. I'm definitely going for lightweight from now on!

Did a little searching yesterday and identifed my charitable project recipient. Mine is going to be a direct donation to that organization because I want to be sure there actually is a donation (my sales are awful so far this month so no charitable auction this time).

Whatch'all think?

A.

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

I'll start a thread for helping in community this week and leave the rest up to other interested board members heart

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

Great, Clear! Your community help project is inspired. I hope we all do well with it 🙂

A.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply