cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Secret Santa this year. Thoughts?

I've been thinking of suggesting something different this year. Instead of doing a gift exchange, what does everyone think of giving back to the community? With all the fires in CA and things like school lunch debt, there's plenty of opportunities to help those in need. On reveal day, we could each post about what we did, pictures optional. What do you all think?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Great idea.  I'm in.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Super idea, I'm in!

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for replies innocent I do love the exchange, but working at a school puts things like kids needing lunch and local food pantries etc front and center. Plus a family member told me recently they only had a little food left in the house until their social security check comes next week, and I just thought hey, for the price of a med flat rate priority box I could really help somebody. Also envisioning Sarah's elf on the shelf helping clean litter boxes at the animal shelter Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

I'm in.
Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I love your idea, clear.  I'm totally in.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

Me!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 7 of 41
latest reply

HUH?????  I wuz supposed to be cleaning??????????

elfie1.jpg

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Does it count if it`s something already being planned (thru our church) but for each individual to do?

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Since I retired, I have the time to do volunteer work. I would love to show you some of the activities that I'm involved in!

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

This is what I do year round anyway.   

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 11 of 41
latest reply

I'll miss the exchange but count me in. There are many good possibilities for volunteering or charitable auctions. 🙂

A.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

I totally love exchanging gifts on the board-and there's no reason not to do both. Instead of alternate, it could be parallel-with members participating in one or the other or both? Was something I was thinking of-with working at the school and the family member needing food. Just following the signs innocent

@1940fcEverything counts of course! I donate/help others whenever I can, as I'm a firm believer in what good you put out there comes back to you-in spades. I knew you'd find the Elf in an er em compromising position! We can definitely count on you to bring on the fun! heart

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Count me in for both if anyone's interested.  😎

A.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

I would do both. Fill one box for a boardie and do the local charity thing. Maybe make the gift boxes smaller or homemade.
Message 15 of 41
latest reply